Spotify Wrapped 2021

Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Spotify Wrapped 2021

Post by Rob »

Ah yes, it is early December so that means Spotify pretends that the year is over and shares our listening habits of the full year with us. Besides December Spotify also ignores the existence of October and November, so if you have listened to any songs or artists obsessively in these months you'll not see them in your top 100. Still, despite these weird choices it is always fun to look back.

Yeah, Magnetic Fields at once. That's what you get for having to play a two and a half hour album on a regular basis for Moderately Acclaimed. The remainder of the list comes from my still on hiatus Climbing Music Mountains project. Last year my favorite artists were more personal.

At least the songs still are personal, although the top three do come from Biggest Fan. These were standouts there, though. Eefje de Visser might be the first Dutch artist ever to crack my top 5 or even top 10. I did expect Colour of Water at one, but thought I Was Dancing In the Lesbian Bar by Jonathan Richman at #2. Turns out it is only #12. Hmmm.

Also, apparently I listened to 69.075 minutes of music this year, which is claimed to be more than 96% of the population! Well, the country was in lockdown for five months at the start of the year.

The most funny fact during this presentation was when they said that I was obsessed for a whole year with a podcast, only to reveal that I listened to it for 89 minutes in total. That's less than listening to your average Magnetic Fields album. I don't listen to podcasts much.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Re: Spotify Wrapped 2021

Post by BleuPanda »

As always, my song list is dominated by songs from the previous year. That's what I get for making a Best of Year playlist at the start of every year. The more interesting element is Claws and Bystanders doing much better than their placements on that list. (I feel like some people were upset with "Claws" being the critics' choice for Charli XCX last year, but its appeal has lasted a lot longer for me than "Forever" and "Anthems")

Kanye West and Iron Maiden being in my top 5 artists is hilarious; I haven't even listened to Donda yet! Meanwhile, I decided that I needed to check out more metal and decided to start with Iron Maiden's discography (sans their 90s output), so that was enough to make my top 5. Really, this just means I didn't listen to any particular artist all that much.
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

download/file.php?mode=view&id=1630&sid ... ff4cb25171

1. Here Comes Your Man - Pixies
2. Rogaland - Kvelertak
3. Fragile Place - Palberta
4. Steamboat Stomp - Jelly Roll Morton
5. Carried By Invisible Bodies - Lost Girls
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Father2TheMan
Different Class

Post by Father2TheMan »

I don't like the Velvet Underground as much as this would seem to indicate (it was concentrated listening for the Artist of the Month game) and certainly not "Louise" but the others probably are reasonably close other than the lack of Beach Boys and Beatles.

And yes I like Petra a lot but there's no way I played that one that much. I'm wondering if I accidentally had it on repeat one night (I'm in the habit of falling asleep with Spotify on.) Actually the top songs are WAAAY off.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"The laughs come hard in Old Lang Syne....."
Edre Depeche Head
Movin' On Up

Post by Edre Depeche Head »

Not surprised!
Edre the Depeche Head
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

My top artist was Taylor Swift, not sure how that happened. John Coltrane was second, and in my opinion was robbed.

My songs were
1. "Comment #1" - Gil Scott-Heron
2. "Seventeen" - Sharon Van Etten
3. "Kids" - MGMT
4. "Blinding Lights" - The Weeknd
5. "Runaway" - Del Shannon
mileswide
Full of Fire

Post by mileswide »

Spotify look like they count plays even if you don't listen to the whole song and I often let it Autoplay the Song Radio after an album's finished, the only explanation for Diana being played 21 times by me this year! Autoplay's got a lot to answer for with the rest of the top 5:

1. Chelsea Wolfe - Diana
2. Show Me the Body - Rubberband
3. Black Country, New Road - Instrumental
4. Little Simz - Woman
5. KOAN Sound - Aeon [won't even be in my top 1000 for 2021]

Top Artists, meanwhile, have Artist of the Month and MAA to thank for me too (Miles Davis was my top artist in the early 2021 preview due to AotM):
1. Elvis Costello
2. The Magnetic Fields
3. Marvin Gaye
4. Pink Floyd
5. Stevie Wonder
All I got inside is vacancy!
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

65162 minutes listening

Top songs all Clap Your Hands Say Yeah songs, just because it's from one of my top albums of the year that happened to come out the earlist.

Top moods: Calm, happy
167 genres
Top genres: Post punk, indie rock, singer songwriter, art pop, classic rock

975 artists

Top artists: Sault, Sufjan Stevens, Delphine Dora, Field Music, Bob Dylan

Top five are weird to me, maybe just because they are artists that factored into my 2020 end of year tournament and also had albums in 2021.
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

Brad wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:43 pm

:o Hey Brad,
I think I'm a pretty heavy music listener (driving my family quite mental at times), but you take the cake !

Do you listen to music whilst you are sleeping ??? I'm counting 147 24hrs days for your listening ! This is mad (half the year ?) How do your close ones cope with it ??
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

spiritualized wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:17 am Do you listen to music whilst you are sleeping ??? I'm counting 147 24hrs days for your listening ! This is mad (half the year ?) How do your close ones cope with it ??
Yeah, I should prob stop posting those numbers, I'm not trying for any prize (though I should note that as I also have itunes so not everything is captured here - lastfm is MUCH better at capturing the real numbers [annual plug]). Essentially, I have music on in the house all day. The kids have grown up with it, my wife likes it - I get some complaints with the more aggressive stuff then just switch. Most of the time it's background noise for them. I work from home, have become more agoraphobic, and (quite frankly) have an addiction to music. Don't know what else to say... apparently there's still 0.5% of Spotify users ahead of me!
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

Brad wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:11 pm
spiritualized wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:17 am Do you listen to music whilst you are sleeping ??? I'm counting 147 24hrs days for your listening ! This is mad (half the year ?) How do your close ones cope with it ??
Yeah, I should prob stop posting those numbers, I'm not trying for any prize (though I should note that as I also have itunes so not everything is captured here - lastfm is MUCH better at capturing the real numbers [annual plug]). Essentially, I have music on in the house all day. The kids have grown up with it, my wife likes it - I get some complaints with the more aggressive stuff then just switch. Most of the time it's background noise for them. I work from home, have become more agoraphobic, and (quite frankly) have an addiction to music. Don't know what else to say... apparently there's still 0.5% of Spotify users ahead of me!
Well I belong to the 99.5% tribe too, but I guess this is for France !
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

I also still use CDs on car trips, so probably over an hour per day is not counted.
CupOfDreams
Different Class

Post by CupOfDreams »

spiritualized wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:14 am Image
Nice to see another Bedhead fan :whistle:

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”