Albums of 2022 Discussion Thread

prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Re: Albums of 2022 Discussion Thread

Post by prosecutorgodot »

Damn they're skipping 1001-9999 gecs.

Need to check out the EP at some point, hopefully before the new year.
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

nquoid wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:48 am
Rob wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:51 pm I suspect the Jockstrap album is #1. That one seems to steal the thunder of Black Country, New Road almost completely.
Feel like I need to give the Jockstrap album another listen, because BC,NR is my easy number 1 and Jockstrap didn't impact me at all.
I returned to it after all the citations on EOY lists last week and it definitely grew on me from earlier listens. I still think it's uneven after Greatest Hits and Concrete Over Water, but those are both bangers.
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

There have been some excellent EP’s this year. Thanks to the Burial clause, these will all be in my top 20 ‘albums’ for 2022:-

Springtime - Night Raver EP
Post-Rock, Experimental Rock
Length 41:34
Key tracks: The Names of the Plague, The Radicalisation of D

Sun's Signature (Elizabeth Fraser and Damon Reece) - Sun's Signature
Art Pop, Chamber Folk
Length 27:24
Key tracks: Underwater, Apples

Hania Rani - Live from Studio S2
Post-Minimalism, Modern Classical
Length: 24:51
Key tracks: Hawaii Oslo, Buka

Parannoul & Asian Glow – Paraglow
Emo, Shoegaze
Length: 29:39
Key track: Wheel

Portico Quartet - Next Stop
ECM Style Jazz, Nu Jazz
Length: 19:42
Key tracks: Next Stop, Youth

When it comes to full length albums, I don’t understand why the critics are showing little love for ‘Ant’s from up There’, but ‘I Love You, Jennifer B’ does repay repeated listens and ‘Wet Leg’ also improves on re-visit. ‘Marchita’ and ‘De Todas las Flores’ won’t get the appreciation they deserve – no surprises there.
ProjectTermina
Let's Get It On

Post by ProjectTermina »

prosecutorgodot wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:22 pm Damn they're skipping 1001-9999 gecs.
Unfortunately, we'll probably never hear 1001 gecs, as Dylan and Laura must work on it in perpetuity to postpone their execution at the hands of King Shahryar.
Cicice
Let's Get It On

Post by Cicice »

ProjectTermina wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:46 pm
prosecutorgodot wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:22 pm Damn they're skipping 1001-9999 gecs.
Unfortunately, we'll probably never hear 1001 gecs, as Dylan and Laura must work on it in perpetuity to postpone their execution at the hands of King Shahryar.
Hey ProjectTermina!

I recall you telling me you were a pop head, that means those who couldn't resist a lot pop music, right?
Cause if so..
Take a break from the 2022 songs and albums for an hour or two, head over to the post titled "Christina & Fearn - You Are The One (1999)", click the album link at the top, play it out loud, bop to it like mad and thank me later! ✌
ProjectTermina
Let's Get It On

Post by ProjectTermina »

Cicice wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:38 am
Hey ProjectTermina!

I recall you telling me you were a pop head, that means those who couldn't resist a lot pop music, right?
Cause if so..
Take a break from the 2022 songs and albums for an hour or two, head over to the post titled "Christina & Fearn - You Are The One (1999)", click the album link at the top, play it out loud, bop to it like mad and thank me later! ✌
I'm flattered that you thought of me specifically. I'll check it out.
Cicice
Let's Get It On

Post by Cicice »

ProjectTermina wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:29 pm
Cicice wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:38 am

Hey ProjectTermina!

Cause if so..
I'm flattered that you thought of me specifically. I'll check it out.
Well, whoever manage to stood out. Something to add to your diary. 👌
ProjectTermina
Let's Get It On

Post by ProjectTermina »

Happy Thursday!

This week's recommendation

I would like to gently suggest that you listen to I Walked with You a Ways, the debut album of Katie Crutchfield (Waxahatchee) and Jess Williamson working together as Plains. If you want to know more, listen to someone who understands these two and their influences far better than I do: https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/pl ... ou-a-ways/

Albums I listened to since last time
ProjectTermina wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:51 pm click the arrow right here ^ for my whole album diary for 2022
Albums I recommend:
  • Plains - I Walked with You a Ways (moved from Albums I like quite a bit)
Albums that I like quite a bit:
  • Angela Alvarez - Angela Alvarez
  • Ashenspire - Hostile Architecture
  • Rosalía - Motomami
Albums I liked decently enough:
  • 100 Gecs - Snake Eyes
  • Weyes Blood - And In the Darkness, Hearts Aglow
Other albums I listened to:
  • Shamir - Heterosexuality (bumping this down from Albums I liked decently enough. I really do not like this album on my latest listen. Both the vocals and the songwriting do not do it for me. Except for "Reproductive," which is one of my favorite songs of the year)
Albums I didn't finish:
  • Rauw Alejandro - Saturno
  • Richard Dawson - The Ruby Cord (it's a lot to take in all at once, I want to finish it at some point. I wasn't sold on the forty-minute opening track for most of it, but by the end I was 1000% on board)
  • Sudan Archives - Natural Brown Prom Queen
Heads Up

A Boogie wit da Hoodie: Delayed due to Her Loss, Boogie is following up 2020's Artist 2.0 with Me vs. Myself, releasing tomorrow.

Nina Hagen: German punk rocker Nina Hagen is releasing her first album in 11 years tomorrow, Unity. You might remember a song of the same name she recorded with George Clinton in 2020.

Sam Fender: new live album out tomorrow, Live from Finsbury Park.

SZA: Tomorrow we've got SZA's first album in five years, SOS. https://pitchfork.com/news/sza-announce ... album-sos/
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Thought I should mention Anna Mieke - Theatre. Very good album that’s going to miss out on critical attention because it came out late November.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

SZA's S.O.S. is opening with a 90+ rating on Metacritic, so this year's victim of publications releasing too early.
IllumiThottie
Are You Experienced?

Post by IllumiThottie »

Regarding the SZA album my initial reaction is moderate disappointment. CTRL was one of my favorite albums of the last decade, and any artist would struggle to follow that up. But my disappointment largely stems from the length. I'm not sure how widespread the sentiment is, but I'm pretty strongly biased against double albums. I think that the album format itself is already difficult enough in that an artist has to put out several worthwhile songs to keep the listener engaged. A double album increases the difficulty of the task exponentially.

Furthermore, as the number of tracks increases, my ability to differentiate between them on a play-through decreases, such that I lose focus, and multiple play-throughs become fatiguing trying to maintain my attention. Therefore when it comes to double albums, I think that their worth more derives from being a sort of repository of songs, akin to a compilation album, than a cohesive unit worth listening all the way through.

I hope on further listens my opinion of the album will turn more positive, she's too good of a musician for me not to give her that due. So far the standout tracks to me are the previously released Good Days, I Hate U (which is stuck in head now), and Special (shame Hit Different isn't on there).
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

New Little Simz album is good but nowhere near the level of Grey Area and Introvert.
bonnielaurel
Keep On Movin'

Post by bonnielaurel »

De gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum.
Pepperami
Strange Fruit

Post by Pepperami »

IllumiThottie wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 5:34 am Regarding the SZA album my initial reaction is moderate disappointment. CTRL was one of my favorite albums of the last decade, and any artist would struggle to follow that up. But my disappointment largely stems from the length. I'm not sure how widespread the sentiment is, but I'm pretty strongly biased against double albums. I think that the album format itself is already difficult enough in that an artist has to put out several worthwhile songs to keep the listener engaged. A double album increases the difficulty of the task exponentially.

Furthermore, as the number of tracks increases, my ability to differentiate between them on a play-through decreases, such that I lose focus, and multiple play-throughs become fatiguing trying to maintain my attention. Therefore when it comes to double albums, I think that their worth more derives from being a sort of repository of songs, akin to a compilation album, than a cohesive unit worth listening all the way through.
I didn't like it. Apart from Too Late, I got bored after track 10. Too many fillers. How it scored 90 is beyond me. xx :(

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”