Top 3000 Albums: Combined BEA/RYM List (January 1, 2022)

Harold
Into the Groove

Top 3000 Albums: Combined BEA/RYM List (January 1, 2022)

Post by Harold »

I thought it might be a good time for one of my periodic compilations of the top-ranked albums from two other music sites, both of which derive their lists from the rankings/ratings of their reasonably well-informed users themselves: Best Ever Albums (http://www.besteveralbums.com) and Rate Your Music (http://www.rateyourmusic.com). (BEA does also incorporate “recognized lists,” i.e., EOY/EOD and all-time lists from high-profile sources.)

The attached spreadsheet contains a top 3000 list I compiled, using a simple reverse-point system, from the top 10,000 album lists on both sites as of January 1, 2022. The RYM overall list includes both live and “archival” albums (the latter defined as albums comprised of previously unreleased material dating back at least 10 years) but excludes compilations and EPs. BEA includes everything; the highest-rated compilation on BEA is Bob Marley’s Legend, at #408.

Amazingly, it isn't until we get all the way down to #2959 that we get the first album to appear on only one of the two lists (it's The Complete Peel Sessions 1978-2004 by The Fall; RYM has caused a bit of controversy by recently re-classifying this collection as an archival album rather than a compilation, because so much of the material was previously unreleased). The other two albums on this list that are only on RYM are The Pet Sounds Sessions and the Velvet Underground's The Complete Matrix Tapes.

Obviously a majority of these albums are also here on AM, either in the top 3000 or Bubbling Under, but there are a lot of other albums here as well (I spotlighted the top-ranked albums not on AM in a previous version of this exercise back in 2020, which can be found here: http://acclaimedmusic.net/forums/viewto ... 4&p=135977; all of those albums should still be on this new list).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
panam
Full of Fire

Re: Top 3000 Albums: Combined BEA/RYM List (January 1, 2022)

Post by panam »

The RYM chart has changed a lot in the last year, the BEA chart not so much.
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

panam wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 1:48 pm The RYM chart has changed a lot in the last year ...
As has my motivation to want to update this, LOL.

But yes, RYM has certainly changed quite a bit - among other things, OK Computer has been dethroned at #1 by To Pimp a Butterfly. Here's the current (as of July 18) RYM top 10 (artist names not needed, presumably):
1. To Pimp a Butterfly
2. OK Computer
3. Wish You Were Here
4. Madvillainy (!!!)
5. In the Court of the Crimson King
6. Kid A
7. In Rainbows
8. Loveless
9. good kid, m.A.A.D. city
10. The Dark Side of the Moon

(First Beatles album is Abbey Road right at #11.)

The most improbable change on the RYM chart the last few months has been the sudden rise of an obscure 2002 album titled The Fire This Time, which compiles IDM tracks by various artists (most prominently, Orbital and Aphex Twin) overlaid with spoken-word samples and field recordings dealing with the Gulf War, creating an apparently harrowing and damning sound-collage portrait of the conflict and the West's role in it. The album has recently passed the rating threshold to be included on the official RYM all-time chart, and it's currently all the way up at #130 (although, as often happens, its rating has started to go down as more curious people seek it out). For comparison, on BEA the same album is ranked #111,225 (that is not a typo).
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

My reason for not putting a lot of stock in RYM in terms of an all time ranking system is because the voters aren't a random or representative sample group, so mathematically you can't fairly compare between two albums voted on by two completely different audiences.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”