New site update!

Jackson
Into the Groove

Re: New site update!

Post by Jackson »

Thanks to Henrik and everyone else who made this happen! I just spent a few hours in my usual post-update ritual of downloading the spreadsheets and checking off what I have and haven't listened to.

Besides the big swings for 2010s albums/songs, the biggest change I noticed was that very old songs saw a significant boost in the rankings. This is most obvious with Strange Fruit (75-->35), I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry (257-->130), Over the Rainbow (379-->156), and This Land is Your Land (303-->158), but the impact is felt throughout the list as lots of pre-1950 songs took huge jumps. I looked through several of these and didn't seem to notice any new lists they were on; was there some change in methodology that caused the weighting of older songs to increase?
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Jackson wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:31 pm Thanks to Henrik and everyone else who made this happen! I just spent a few hours in my usual post-update ritual of downloading the spreadsheets and checking off what I have and haven't listened to.

Besides the big swings for 2010s albums/songs, the biggest change I noticed was that very old songs saw a significant boost in the rankings. This is most obvious with Strange Fruit (75-->35), I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry (257-->130), Over the Rainbow (379-->156), and This Land is Your Land (303-->158), but the impact is felt throughout the list as lots of pre-1950 songs took huge jumps. I looked through several of these and didn't seem to notice any new lists they were on; was there some change in methodology that caused the weighting of older songs to increase?
Yes, since I now have genre information, non-rock songs are no longer counted on rock-specific lists, meaning that they are no longer hurt by not appearing on those lists. Also, all-time lists that are not so spread out over the years get somewhat lower weights, which benefits the pre-50s songs (and to some extent also recent songs).
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
Holden
Never Going Back Again

Post by Holden »

Just curious but like once you’ve entered the lists and stuff, does the program spit out just a numeric list, or do the albums have ‘points’ so there would be a way to tell how close one album is to another?
"The better a singer's voice, the harder it is to believe what they're saying."
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Holden wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:16 pm Just curious but like once you’ve entered the lists and stuff, does the program spit out just a numeric list, or do the albums have ‘points’ so there would be a way to tell how close one album is to another?
Yes, some kind of "points".

Top 30 Albums
1 | The Beach Boys | Pet Sounds | 985.04
2 | Nirvana | Nevermind | 983.56
3 | The Beatles | Revolver | 983.21
4 | The Velvet Underground & Nico | The Velvet Underground & Nico | 982.17
5 | Marvin Gaye | What's Going On | 977.07
6 | The Beatles | Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band | 976.72
7 | The Clash | London Calling | 975.99
8 | Radiohead | OK Computer | 975.36
9 | Bob Dylan | Blonde on Blonde | 974.86
10 | The Rolling Stones | Exile on Main St. | 973.96
11 | Bob Dylan | Highway 61 Revisited | 968.48
12 | Sex Pistols | Never Mind the Bollocks - Here's the Sex Pistols | 966.80
13 | The Beatles | The Beatles ["White Album"] | 961.80
14 | The Jimi Hendrix Experience | Are You Experienced? | 955.01
15 | Van Morrison | Astral Weeks | 954.36
16 | Bruce Springsteen | Born to Run | 948.44
17 | Kendrick Lamar | To Pimp a Butterfly | 948.30
18 | Public Enemy | It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back | 947.27
19 | David Bowie | The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars | 945.70
20 | The Beatles | Abbey Road | 937.77
21 | Pink Floyd | The Dark Side of the Moon | 937.55
22 | Bob Dylan | Blood on the Tracks | 937.37
23 | Michael Jackson | Thriller | 937.02
24 | Arcade Fire | Funeral | 931.33
25 | Patti Smith | Horses | 931.27
26 | Kanye West | My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy | 930.07
27 | The Smiths | The Queen Is Dead | 927.41
28 | Television | Marquee Moon | 926.50
29 | Miles Davis | Kind of Blue | 925.47
30 | Prince | Sign 'O' the Times | 924.41

Top 30 Songs
1 | Bob Dylan | Like a Rolling Stone | 986.28
2 | Nirvana | Smells Like Teen Spirit | 983.15
3 | The Beatles | A Day in the Life | 961.34
4 | The Beach Boys | Good Vibrations | 946.20
5 | Chuck Berry | Johnny B. Goode | 945.37
6 | Aretha Franklin | Respect | 937.69
7 | The Ronettes | Be My Baby | 937.26
8 | Marvin Gaye | What's Going On | 936.87
9 | Marvin Gaye | I Heard It Through the Grapevine | 932.90
10 | The Rolling Stones | (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction | 931.43
11 | Michael Jackson | Billie Jean | 929.26
12 | Elvis Presley | Heartbreak Hotel | 923.68
13 | Bruce Springsteen | Born to Run | 923.27
14 | The Who | My Generation | 921.70
15 | Joy Division | Love Will Tear Us Apart | 920.21
16 | The Beach Boys | God Only Knows | 914.89
17 | Otis Redding | (Sittin' On) The Dock of the Bay | 910.46
18 | OutKast | Hey Ya! | 906.99
19 | Sex Pistols | Anarchy in the U.K. | 906.80
20 | M.I.A. | Paper Planes | 906.05
21 | The Clash | London Calling | 900.93
22 | The Rolling Stones | Sympathy for the Devil | 899.05
23 | The Beatles | Strawberry Fields Forever | 898.64
24 | Little Richard | Tutti Frutti | 895.67
25 | Led Zeppelin | Stairway to Heaven | 893.71
26 | Grandmaster Flash and The Furious Five | The Message | 893.17
27 | Ray Charles | What'd I Say | 889.84
28 | John Lennon | Imagine | 886.09
29 | Sam Cooke | A Change Is Gonna Come | 881.94
30 | David Bowie | "Heroes" | 879.93

It's quite pointless to talk about the points beyond place 30. It's close everywhere.
TheLastEnemy
Movin' On Up

Post by TheLastEnemy »

Though nowhere near the first person to say so, I would like to thank Henrik for all the hours of pleasure this has, and will have, given so many people.

Please let me be the first to express my disgust that Sufjan Stevens' mighty 'Mystery of Love' failed to crack the top 10 000, as predicted on this forum some time ago by Henrik, probably because of when it was released and falling through the cracks between years.
Presenter of 'The New Music Show' on www.welcomberadio.org.uk, Thursdays 6-8pm (UK time)
Listen later: https://www.mixcloud.com/chris-last/
Andre
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Andre »

Thank you, Henrik, this is very good news in lesser times!

Interesting to see a shift: In the last decade 7 out 10 number 1 song positions are occupied by a female singer...

Genre lists for albums and songs, this is a really awesome update, Henrik and team!
Petri
Feeling Good

Post by Petri »

Thank you Henrik!
Matski
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Matski »

Staggering work, as always. Thank you Henrik, Sweepstakes Ron and everyone else involved in this update. :)
Gillingham
Into the Groove

Post by Gillingham »

Thanks a lot for all the work Henrik and others, it's appreciated!
panam
Full of Fire

Post by panam »

Henrik, a question, eventually all the subgenres are going to have a playlist? or only the main genres? I want to listen the Latin Rock and Political Hip Hop playlists but don't exist.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

panam wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:24 pm Henrik, a question, eventually all the subgenres are going to have a playlist? or only the main genres? I want to listen the Latin Rock and Political Hip Hop playlists but don't exist.
I'm afraid I won't have time to do this. It's hundreds of playlists that would need to be updated with every site update. Spotify used to have a tracklist function, that created non-permanent playlists from lists of spotify IDs. During those days I had a playlist on every artist page on AM, but sadly that function is gone now.

However, I've been thinking that someone else could moderate the AM spotify account. Any volunteers?
Krurze
Movin' On Up

Post by Krurze »

Henrik wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:49 pm However, I've been thinking that someone else could moderate the AM spotify account. Any volunteers?
I'd actually be interested in that :greetings-waveyellow:

I really like browsing the Spotify playlists around here, and I generally enjoy making playlists. I think I could set aside some time during my week for this, as I always enjoy helping out in this great project of yours :music-listening:
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Krurze wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:52 pm
Henrik wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:49 pm However, I've been thinking that someone else could moderate the AM spotify account. Any volunteers?

I really like browsing the Spotify playlists around here, and I generally enjoy making playlists. I think I could set aside some time during my week for this, as I always enjoy helping out in this great project of yours :music-listening:
That's great! Send me a pm and I will give you more information. :greetings-waveyellow:
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Henrik wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:07 pm

That's great! Send me a pm and I will give you more information. :greetings-waveyellow:
Forget about sending me a pm first. I was going to say send me an email and then changed my mind to a pm. Then I don't need your address first, of course! :D
Bruno
Shake Some Action

Post by Bruno »

Amazing job, Henrik! :music-listening:
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Sorry, but I actually need to think about how to handle this, as the Acclaimed Music account is the core of a family account. So stupid!
mattschroeder
Are You Experienced?

Post by mattschroeder »

I can see I'm a couple days late, but I just wanted to say thank you so much, Henrik. I know that this is a lot of hard work on your end, and I just want you to know that I really appreciate everything you do. You've made my December a much brighter one.
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

Thanks Henrik. I am very much enjoying the update, especially listening to the new entries and some of the re-entries.
mileswide
Full of Fire

Post by mileswide »

This is the one we've been waiting for! Far too much to take in at this point but I'm immensely grateful to Henrik, Sweepstakes Ron and all other contributors. The history function's an especially worthwhile addition, not least because it might be helpful in determining our future criteria for the MAA e.g. no albums that have been in the top 500 in any of the last 3 updates.
All I got inside is vacancy!
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

mileswide wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:53 pm This is the one we've been waiting for! Far too much to take in at this point but I'm immensely grateful to Henrik, Sweepstakes Ron and all other contributors. The history function's an especially worthwhile addition, not least because it might be helpful in determining our future criteria for the MAA e.g. no albums that have been in the top 500 in any of the last 3 updates.
Thanks mileswide! The history function is not new, but there is no link to it on the mobile version. Someone please remind me to add that if I don’t do it within a week.
mileswide
Full of Fire

Post by mileswide »

Henrik wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:06 pm Thanks mileswide! The history function is not new, but there is no link to it on the mobile version. Someone please remind me to add that if I don’t do it within a week.
I see- it's new to me, which is good enough! I've set myself a reminder to remind you about the link next week if you haven't by then already 8-)
All I got inside is vacancy!
slick
Movin' On Up

Post by slick »

Thank You Henrik!!! Awesome as always!!! Every update since I first stumbled across this site in 2007 has been a treat getting lost for hours checking everything out!
Guille12
Superunknown

Post by Guille12 »

Wow this is amazing! I had to wait for a long time, but Black Messiah is getting the love it deserves. I'm pretty sure it will eventually become the most acclaimed album of 2014
Elder
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Elder »

Everything very beautiful
Congratulations to everyone involved in updating the site

The music list became more harmonious, not without reason

Pre 1960s songs going up, it was great
I had the impression that music from the 2000's surpassed the 90's, at least in the top 1000
Björk is apparently an album artist, a smash hit with criticism is missing so she can get a simple Top 500 :?
Fetch the Bolt Cutters...
Monte
Let's Get It On

Post by Monte »

I had not noticed this lol

I was expecting some bigger changes regarding some artists from what I’ve seen at the moment (not much). but even so the poptimism of the last years and influence of today's critics is beginning to be noticed.

Thanks a lot for your enormous work.
I wish I could help.
latinojebako
I'm New Here

Post by latinojebako »

Is there any way i could get the new version as an excel spreadsheet? It was always my prefered way of browsing through it.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

latinojebako wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:26 pm Is there any way i could get the new version as an excel spreadsheet? It was always my prefered way of browsing through it.

The song and album lists are in spreadsheet form on this page:
http://www.acclaimedmusic.net/history.htm
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

mileswide wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:15 pm
Henrik wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:06 pm Thanks mileswide! The history function is not new, but there is no link to it on the mobile version. Someone please remind me to add that if I don’t do it within a week.
I see- it's new to me, which is good enough! I've set myself a reminder to remind you about the link next week if you haven't by then already 8-)
Fixed! :whistle:
Holden
Never Going Back Again

Post by Holden »

Something I haven’t seen a lot of people mention is Royals being in the Top 100. It definitely belongs there!
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

Holden wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:07 pm Something I haven’t seen a lot of people mention is Royals being in the Top 100. It definitely belongs there!
How crazy would it have seemed a few years ago that Royals is now one spot ahead of Get Lucky? After the initial update that featured those songs, Get Lucky was 46 and Royals was 312; even after the last update, it was still 106 to 266.
Holden
Never Going Back Again

Post by Holden »

Jackson wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:34 pm
Holden wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:07 pm Something I haven’t seen a lot of people mention is Royals being in the Top 100. It definitely belongs there!
How crazy would it have seemed a few years ago that Royals is now one spot ahead of Get Lucky? After the initial update that featured those songs, Get Lucky was 46 and Royals was 312; even after the last update, it was still 106 to 266.
Honestly, speaking from right now I really couldn't see it another way. Get Lucky is definitely a great song but Royals is something completely different entirely, almost on a different level.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Holden wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:02 pm
Jackson wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:34 pm
Honestly, speaking from right now I really couldn't see it another way. Get Lucky is definitely a great song but Royals is something completely different entirely, almost on a different level.
Both songs were huge in 2013 of course, but Get Lucky felt truly ubiquitous, but I also feel that Royals has stuck around better. Or maybe that's just my preferences speaking. I love that Royals is now part of the top 100; I feel a little vindication for hyping that song up before it became famous. The first time that happened and most likely the last time.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

I only got through the album list now (and still haven't looked at the song list). I take it slowly, let it sink in and listening to albums I came across along the way, by picking the one that ranks at my starting point each time. Best discovery this way: Bauhaus' sinister In the Flat Field.

All the time I wanted to say a lot about it, but it's hard to actually remember all of it. The biggest surprise was when I came across Janelle Monáe Dirty Computer (I went from bottom to top). I was sure that was going to be in the top 500, but we find it at #546. Wasn't it #1 on the 2018 spreadsheet? I guess it was really hurt by the EOD lists, where it underperformed. It's now #3 of 2018, but I do have to admit that the two albums that now outrank it, Joy As an Act of Resistance and Golden Hour, seem to have had more staying power. 2018 is badly served in any way, with even it's highest ranked album at #406.

Speaking of Monáe, I hoped that The ArchAndroid would head back into the top 500, but I already noticed that this one too was doing below expectations on the EOD lists. It's one of those albums I would have called an "obvious masterpiece" and far more inventive than say contemporary R&B pop albums like those by Solange and Beyoncé, that seriously outrank it. I hoped that that our most recent Moderately Acclaimed Album wouldn't be eligible again, but here we are. Art Angels, the winner of the year before, was also expected to rise in the top 500, but it also stuck around at #520, even though I thought it did better during the EOD process. Visions seems to outpace it still.

The punishment of Julia Holter in general will not stand. I feel that the critics slanted too much to R&B and poptimism at the end of the decade and had too little eye for harder to define albums.
latinojebako
I'm New Here

Post by latinojebako »

BleuPanda wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:49 pm
latinojebako wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:26 pm Is there any way i could get the new version as an excel spreadsheet? It was always my prefered way of browsing through it.

The song and album lists are in spreadsheet form on this page:
http://www.acclaimedmusic.net/history.htm
Thank you so much! I've missed it somehow
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

I find the spreadsheets for the updated top songs and albums to be very helpful.

I would also like to see a spreadsheet for the updated top artists, if one is available.
Holden
Never Going Back Again

Post by Holden »

Here are all of the years that got a new #1 in either albums or songs:
Albums
1957: Little Richard | Here's Little Richard -> Sonny Rollins | Saxophone Colossus
1993: Nirvana | In Utero -> Wu-Tang Clan | Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)

Songs
1920: Mamie Smith | Crazy Blues -> Al Jolson | Swanee
1926: Jelly Roll Morton | Black Bottom Stomp -> Fred Astaire | Fascinating Rhythm
1933: Bennie Moten | Moten's Swing -> Ethel Waters | Stormy Weather
1937: Robert Johnson | Hellhound on My Trail -> Count Basie | One O'Clock Jump
1941: Billie Holiday | God Bless the Child -> Duke Ellington | Take the "A" Train
1947: Bill Monroe | Blue Moon of Kentucky -> Mahalia Jackson | Move On Up a Little Higher
1964: The Kinks | You Really Got Me -> Sam Cooke | A Change Is Gonna Come
1973: The Stooges | Search and Destroy -> Stevie Wonder | Living for the City
1977: Sex Pistols | God Save the Queen -> David Bowie | "Heroes"
1997: Radiohead | Paranoid Android -> The Verve | Bittersweet Symphony
2010: Kanye West | Runaway -> Robyn | Dancing on My Own
2011: M83 | Midnight City -> Lana Del Rey | Video Games
2012: Frank Ocean | Pyramids -> Grimes | Oblivion
2013: Daft Punk | Get Lucky -> Lorde | Royals
2015: Tame Impala | Let It Happen -> Kendrick Lamar | Alright
2017: Kendrick Lamar | HUMBLE. -> Lorde | Green Light
Dan
Movin' On Up

Post by Dan »

OK, so I'm showing up to party that happened 3 weeks ago. But there are still a lot of people who haven't left and the music keeps playing.

I'd like to thank the party organiser. Henrik, I look forward to exploring these updated lists. Every update feels like a major event, even after so many years.

Thank you!
...will keep us together.
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

Holden wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:50 pm 2010: Kanye West | Runaway -> Robyn | Dancing on My Own
It's interesting that more than half of the years of the decade got a new #1 song, including Kendrick getting and losing a #1 in different years. I assume the AOTYs were more stable, but it would be interesting to see that list too.
Holden
Never Going Back Again

Post by Holden »

Jackson wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:13 am
Holden wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:50 pm 2010: Kanye West | Runaway -> Robyn | Dancing on My Own
It's interesting that more than half of the years of the decade got a new #1 song, including Kendrick getting and losing a #1 in different years. I assume the AOTYs were more stable, but it would be interesting to see that list too.
None of the 2010s albums were displaced! Only two years were, 1957 and 1993.
Holden
Never Going Back Again

Post by Holden »

Since 2010s albums were not taken from their top place, I decided to back through and do a bit more analysis of that. Here are the current top ten of each year (2010-2017) compared with their positions from the 2018 version.

01 | (01) | Kanye West | My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
02 | (02) | Arcade Fire | The Suburbs
03 | (04) | LCD Soundsystem | This Is Happening
04 | (03) | Beach House | Teen Dream
05 | (09) | Robyn | Body Talk
06 | (05) | Deerhunter | Halcyon Digest
07 | (06) | The National | High VIolet
08 | (07) | Janelle Monáe | The ArchAndroid
09 | (13) | Joanna Newsom | Have One on Me
10 | (08) | Flying Lotus | Cosmogramma

01 | (01) | PJ Harvey | Let England Shake
02 | (03) | Bon Iver | Bon Iver, Bon Iver
03 | (02) | James Blake | James Blake
04 | (05) | St. Vincent | Strange Mercy
05 | (11) | Drake | Take Care
06 | (07) | Destroyer | Kaputt
07 | (04) | Adele | 21
08 | (08) | M83 | Hurry Up, We're Dreaming
09 | (20) | Oneohtrix Point Never | Replica
10 | (10) | The Weekend | House of Balloons/Trilogy

01 | (01) | Frank Ocean | Channel Orange
02 | (02) | Kendrick Lamar | good kid, m.A.A.d. city
03 | (04) | Fion Apple | The Idler Wheel...
04 | (03) | Tame Impala | Lonerism
05 | (05) | Grimes | Visions
06 | (09) | Chromatics | Kill for Love
07 | (33) | Lana Del Rey | Born to Die
08 | (07) | alt-J | An Awesome Wave
09 | (10) | Japandroids | Celebration Rock
10 | (06) | Swans | The Seer

01 | (01) | Vampire Weekend | Modern Vampires of the City
02 | (02) | Kanye West | Yeezus
03 | (04) | Daft Punk | Random Access Memories
04 | (11) | Beyoncé | Beyoncé
05 | (10) | Arctic Monkeys | AM
06 | (08) | Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds | Push the Sky Away
07 | (17) | Deafheaven | Sunbather
08 | (09) | The Knife | Shaking the Habitual
09 | (06) | My Bloody Valentine | m b v
10 | (03) | Disclosure | Settle

01 | (01) | The War on Drugs | Lost in the Dream
02 | (17) | D'Angelo and The Vanguard | Black Messiah
03 | (04) | FKA twigs | LP1
04 | (03) | Run the Jewels | Run the Jewels 2
05 | (02) | St. Vincent | St. Vincent
06 | (30) | Taylor Swift | 1989
07 | (11) | Angel Olsen | Burn Your Fire for No Witness
08 | (05) | Sun Kil Moon | Benji
09 | (10) | Sharon Van Etten | Are We There
10 | (07) | Caribou | Our Love

01 | (01) | Kendrick Lamar | To Pimp a Butterfly
02 | (02) | Sufjan Stevens | Carrie & Lowell
03 | (06) | Tame Impala | Currents
04 | (03) | Courtney Barnett | Sometimes I Sit and Think, and Sometimes I Just Sit
05 | (05) | Jamie xx | In Colour
06 | (04) | Father John Misty | I Love You, Honeybear
07 | (08) | Grimes | Art Angels
08 | (13) | Kamasi Washington | The Epic
09 | (11) | Björk | Vulnicura
10 | (26) | Carly Rae Jepsen | E*MO*TION

01 | (01) | David Bowie | Blackstar
02 | (04) | Frank Ocean | Blonde
03 | (05) | Beyoncé | Lemonade
04 | (06) | Solange | A Seat at the Table
05 | (02) | Radiohead | A Moon Shaped Pool
06 | (03) | Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds | Skeleton Tree
07 | (23) | Rihanna | Anti
08 | (07) | A Tribe Called Quest | We Got It from Here... Thank You 4 Your Service
09 | (10) | Angel Olsen | My Woman
10 | (09) | Leonard Cohen | You Want It Darker

01 | (01) | Kendrick Lamar | DAMN.
02 | (03) | Lorde | Melodrama
03 | (08) | SZA | Ctrl
04 | (11) | Mount Eerie | A Crow Looked at Me
05 | (13) | Arca | Arca
06 | (05) | The War on Drugs | A Deeper Understanding
07 | (04) | St. Vincent | MASSEDUCTION
08 | (02) | LCD Soundsystem | American Dream
09 | (09) | King Krule | The Ooz
10 | (10) | Slowdive | Slowdive

And because why not I gave the same treatment to the songs:

01 | (04) | Robyn | Dancing on My Own
02 | (01) | Kanye West | Runaway
03 | (02) | Adele | Rolling in the Deep
04 | (09) | LCD Soundsystem | Dance Yrself Clean
05 | (08) | Ariel Pink | Round and Round
06 | (05) | The National | Bloodbuzz Ohio
07 | (03) | Caribou | Odessa
08 | (11) | Arcade Fire | Sprawl II (Mountains Beyond Mountains)
09 | (06) | Janelle Monáe | Tightrope
10 | (10) | Kanye West | Monster

01 | (02) | Lana Del Rey | Video Games
02 | (01) | M83 | Midnight City
03 | (06) | Azealia Banks | 212
04 | (05) | Tyler, the Creator | Yonkers
05 | (07) | Rihanna | We Found Love
06 | (10) | Bon Iver | Holocene
07 | (08) | Carly Rae Jepsen | Call Me Maybe
08 | (03) | Jay-Z & Kanye West | Niggas in Paris
09 | (16) | Nicki Minaj | Super Bass
10 | (04) | The Black Keys | Lonely Boy

01 | (02) | Grimes | Oblivion
02 | (01) | Frank Ocean | Pyramids
03 | (11) | M.I.A. | Bad Girls
04 | (08) | Frank Ocean | Thinkin Bout You
05 | (29) | Sky Ferreira | Everything Is Embarrassing
06 | (04) | Japandroids | The House That Heaven Built
07 | (07) | Solange | Losing You
08 | (05) | Tame Impala | Feels Like We Only Go Backwards
09 | (03) | Usher | Climax
10 | (20) | Disclosure | Latch

01 | (02) | Lorde | Royals
02 | (01) | Daft Punk | Get Lucky
03 | (08) | Vampire Weekend | Hannah Hunt
04 | (03) | Arcade Fire | Reflektor
05 | (06) | Arctic Monkeys | Do I Wanna Know?
06 | (05) | James Blake | Retrograde
07 | (07) | Drake | Hold On, We're Going Home
08 | (28) | Sophie | Bipp
09 | (04) | The War on Drugs | Red Eyes
10 | (13) | Kanye West | Black Skinhead

01 | (01) | Future Islands | Seasons (Waiting on You)
02 | (02) | FKA twigs | Two Weeks
03 | (04) | Perfume Genius | Queen
04 | (03) | Caribou | Can't Do Without You
05 | (06) | Sia | Chandelier
06 | (09) | Alvvays | Archie, Marry Me
07 | (16) | Mark Ronson | Uptown Funk
08 | (34) | Taylor Swift | Blank Space
09 | (05) | St. Vincent | Digital Witness
10 | (28) | The War on Drugs | Under the Pressure

01 | (06) | Kendrick Lamar | Alright
02 | (02) | Drake | Hotline Bling
03 | (01) | Tame Impala | Let It Happen
04 | (03) | Kendrick Lamar | King Kunta
05 | (04) | Courtney Barnett | Pedestrian at Best
06 | (07) | Jamie xx | I Know There's Gonna Be (Good Times)
07 | (19) | Carly Rae Jepsen | Run Away With Me
08 | (05) | David Bowie | Lazarus
09 | (08) | David Bowie | Blackstar
10 | (09) | The Weeknd | Can't Feel My Face

01 | (01) | Beyoncé | Formation
02 | (03) | Solange | Cranes in the Sky
03 | (05) | Mitski | Your Best American Girl
04 | (04) | Rihanna | Work
05 | (02) | Kanye West | Ultralight Beam
06 | (21) | Frank Ocean | Nights
07 | (07) | Angel Olsen | Shut Up Kiss Me
08 | (08) | Leonard Cohen | You Want It Darker
09 | (36) | Childish Gambino | Redbone
10 | (15) | Car Seat Headrest | Drunk Drivers/Killer Whales

01 | (02) | Lorde | Green Light
02 | (04) | Cardi B | Bodak Yellow
03 | (01) | Kendrick Lamar | HUMBLE.
04 | (03) | Kendrick Lamar | DNA.
05 | (05) | Future | Mask Off
06 | (07) | King Krule | Dum Surfer
07 | (12) | Lil Uzi Vert | XO Tour Llif3
08 | (08) | St. Vincent | New York
09 | (06) | Charli XCX | Boys
10 | (14) | Calvin Harris | Slide
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Pyramids was one of those cases were the EOY winner of best songs seemed to completely obvious, so it is interesting to note that it doesn't hold that position anymore.
Fred
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Fred »

An absolute good. And Sweepstakes! Wow!
Holden
Never Going Back Again

Post by Holden »

I figured I had some extra time on my hands, so here is the current Acclaimed Music List compared to the 2018 Edition for the top ten of each of the 2000s:

Albums

01 | (01) | Radiohead | Kid A
02 | (02) | OutKast | Stankonia
03 | (03) | Eminem | The Marshall Mathers LP
04 | (04) | PJ Harvey | Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea
05 | (05) | The Avalanches | Since I Left You
06 | (07) | D'Angelo | Voodoo
07 | (06) | Modest Mouse | The Moon & Antarctica
08 | (08) | Ryan Adams | Heartbreaker
09 | (09) | Godspeed You! Black Emperor | Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven
10 | (10) | At the Drive-In | Relationship of Command

01 | (01) | The Strokes | Is This It
02 | (02) | Jay-Z | The Blueprint
03 | (03) | The White Stripes | White Blood Cells
04 | (04) | Daft Punk | Discovery
05 | (05) | Bob Dylan | Love and Theft
06 | (06) | Björk | Vespertine
07 | (07) | Radiohead | Amnesiac
08 | (08) | System of a Down | Toxicity
09 | (10) | Gillian Welch | Time (The Revelator)
10 | (09) | Fennesz | Endless Summer

01 | (01) | Wilco | Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
02 | (03) | Interpol | Turn On the Bright Lights
03 | (04) | The Flaming Lips | Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots
04 | (02) | The Streets | Original Pirate Material
05 | (05) | Queens of the Stone Age | Songs for the Deaf
06 | (06) | The Libertines | Up the Bracket
07 | (08) | Beck | Sea Change
08 | (07) | Coldplay | A Rush of Blood to the Head
09 | (09) | Broken Social Scene | You Forgot It in People
10 | (10) | Sigur Rós | ( )

01 | (01) | The White Stripes | Elephant
02 | (02) | OutKast | Speakerboxxx / The Love Below
03 | (03) | Dizzee Rascal | Boy in da Corner
04 | (04) | The Shins | Chutes Too Narrow
05 | (05) | Yeah Yeah Yeahs | Fever to Tell
06 | (07) | The Postal Service | Give Up
07 | (06) | Radiohead | Hail to the Thief
08 | (08) | Jay-Z | The Black Album
09 | (09) | Death Cab for Cutie | Transatlanticism
10 | (11) | Cat Power | You Are Free

01 | (01) | Arcade Fire | Funeral
02 | (02) | Kanye West | The College Dropout
03 | (03) | Franz Ferdinand | Franz Ferdinand
04 | (04) | Madvillain | Madvillainy
05 | (05) | Green Day | American Idiot
06 | (06) | Brian Wilson | SMiLE
07 | (07) | The Streets | A Grand Don't Come for Free
08 | (08) | Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds | Abattoir Blues / The Lyre of Orpheus
09 | (09) | Wilco | A Ghost Is Born
10 | (10) | The Killers | Hot Fuss

01 | (01) | Sufjan Stevens | Illinois
02 | (02) | Antony and The Johnsons | I Am a Bird Now
03 | (03) | M.I.A. | Arular
04 | (05) | Kanye West | Late Registration
05 | (04) | LCD Soundsystem | LCD Soundsystem
06 | (07) | Bright Eyes | I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning
07 | (06) | Bloc Party | Silent Alarm
08 | (08) | The National | Alligator
09 | (11) | Sleater-Kinney | The Woods
10 | (09) | My Morning Jacket | Z

01 | (01) | Amy Winehouse | Back to Black
02 | (02) | Arctic Monkeys | Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not
03 | (03) | The Knife | Silent Shout
04 | (04) | Joanna Newsom | Ys
05 | (05) | TV on the Radio | Return to Cookie Mountain
06 | (06) | J Dilla [Jay Dee] | Donuts
07 | (07) | Bob Dylan | Modern Times
08 | (09) | Justin Timberlake | FutureSex/LoveSounds
09 | (08) | Cat Power | The Greatest
10 | (11) | Gnarls Barkley | St. Elsewhere

01 | (01) | Radiohead | In Rainbows
02 | (02) | LCD Soundsystem | Sound of Silver
03 | (03) | Burial | Untrue
04 | (04) | Bon Iver | For Emma, Forever Ago
05 | (05) | M.I.A. | Kala
06 | (06) | The National | Boxer
07 | (07) | Panda Bear | Person Pitch
08 | (09) | Arcade Fire | Neon Bible
09 | (08) | MGMT | Oracular Spectacular
10 | (10) | of Montreal | Hissing Fauna, Are You the Destroyer?

01 | (01) | Portishead | Third
02 | (02) | Fleet Foxes | Fleet Foxes
03 | (03) | Vampire Weekend | Vampire Weekend
04 | (04) | TV on the Radio | Dear Science
05 | (05) | Elbow | The Seldom Seen Kid
06 | (08) | Lil Wayne | Tha Carter III
07 | (06) | Deerhunter | Microcastle / Weird Era Cont.
08 | (11) | Kanye West | 808s & Heartbreak
09 | (07) | Cut Copy | In Ghost Colors
10 | (10) | Hercules and Love Affair | Hercules and Love Affair

01 | (01) | Animal Collective | Merriweather Post Pavilion
02 | (02) | The xx | xx
03 | (03) | Grizzly Bear | Veckatimest
04 | (05) | Dirty Projectors | Bitte Orca
05 | (04) | Phoenix | Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix
06 | (06) | Fever Ray | Fever Ray
07 | (07) | The Horrors | Primary Colours
08 | (08) | Yeah Yeah Yeahs | It's Blitz!
09 | (10) | Bill Callahan | Sometimes I Wish We Were an Eagle
10 | (09) | Fuck Buttons | Tarot Sport

Songs

01 | (01) | OutKast | Ms. Jackson
02 | (03) | Radiohead | Idioteque
03 | (04) | Daft Punk | One More Time
04 | (05) | OutKast | B. O. B. (Bombs Over Baghdad)
05 | (02) | Eminem | Stan
06 | (06) | Coldplay | Yellow
07 | (08) | The Avalanches | Since I Left You
08 | (07) | The Hives | Hate to Say I Told You So
09 | (12) | Aaliyah | Try Again
10 | (09) | Radiohead | Everything in Its Right Place

01 | (01) | Missy Elliott | Get Ur Freak On
02 | (03) | Kylie Minogue | Can't Get You Out of My Head
03 | (02) | The Strokes | Last Nite
04 | (04) | The White Stripes | Fell in Love with a Girl
05 | (05) | The Shins | New Slang
06 | (06) | Gorillaz | Clint Eastwood
07 | (07) | The Strokes | Hard to Eplain
08 | (08) | Daft Punk | Digital Love
09 | (09) | Radiohead | Pyramid Song
10 | (10) | Jay-Z | IZZO (H.O.V.A)

01 | (01) | LCD Soundsystem | Losing My Edge
02 | (03) | The Rapture | House of Jealous Lovers
03 | (02) | Johnny Cash | Hurt
04 | (04) | Eminem | Lose Yourself
05 | (07) | The Knife | Heartbeats
06 | (06) | The Flaming Lips | Do You Realize??
07 | (05) | Queens of the Stone Age | No One Knows
08 | (08) | The Roots | The Seed 2.0
09 | (11) | Justin Timberlake | Cry Me a River
10 | (12) | Missy Elliott | Work It

01 | (01) | OutKast | Hey Ya!
02 | (03) | Beyoncé | Crazy in Love
03 | (02) | The White Stripes | Seven Nation Army
04 | (04) | Jay-Z | 99 Problems
05 | (05) | Yeah Yeah Yeahs | Maps
06 | (06) | Britney Spears | Toxic
07 | (07) | The Postal Service | Such Great Heights
08 | (08) | R. Kelly | Ignition (Remix)
09 | (09) | Kelis | Milkshake
10 | (10) | Dizzee Rascal | Fix Up, Look Sharp

01 | (01) | Franz Ferdinand | Take Me Out
02 | (03) | The Killers | Mr. Brightside
03 | (02) | Arcade Fire | Rebellion (Lies)
04 | (05) | Kanye West | Jesus Walks
05 | (04) | Arcade Fire | Wake Up
06 | (06) | Modest Mouse | Float On
07 | (08) | Kelly Clarkson | Since U Been Gone
08 | (07) | The Walkmen | The Rat
09 | (12) | Snoop Dogg | Drop It Like It's Hot
10 | (09) | The Libertines | Can't Stand Me Now

01 | (01) | Arctic Monkeys | I Bet You Look Good on the Dancefloor
02 | (03) | Kanye West | Gold Digger
03 | (02) | Sufjan Stevens | Chicago
04 | (04) | Antony and The Johnsons | Hope There's Someone
05 | (06) | Amerie | 1 Thing
06 | (05) | Gorillaz | Feel Good Inc.
07 | (07) | Madonna | Hung Up
08 | (08) | Franz Ferdinand | Do You Want To
09 | (09) | Sigur Rós | Hoppípolla
10 | (10) | CSS | Let's Make Love and Listen to Death from Above

01 | (01) | Gnarls Barkley | Crazy
02 | (02) | Amy Winehouse | Rehab
03 | (03) | Hot Chip | Over and Over
04 | (04) | Peter Bjorn and John | Young Folks
05 | (07) | TV on the Radio | Wolf Like Me
06 | (05) | Justice | We Are Your Friends
07 | (06) | The Gossip | Standing in the Way of Control
08 | (08) | Justin Timberlake | My Love
09 | (12) | T.I. | What You Know
10 | (10) | Hot Chip | And I Was a Boy from School

01 | (01) | M.I.A. | Paper Planes
02 | (02) | LCD Soundsystem | All My Friends
03 | (05) | Rihanna | Umbrella
04 | (03) | MGMT | Time to Pretend
05 | (04) | MGMT | Kids
06 | (06) | Burial | Archangel
07 | (07) | Bon Iver | Skinny Love
08 | (09) | Justice | D.A.N.C.E.
09 | (10) | LCD Soundsystem | Someone Great
10 | (08) | Vampire Weekend | A-Punk

01 | (01) | Hercules and Love Affair | Blind
02 | (02) | Coldplay | Viva La Vida
03 | (03) | Fleet Foxes | White Winter Hymnal
04 | (04) | Elbow | One Day Like This
05 | (08) | Beyoncé | Single Ladies (Put a Ring on It)
06 | (06) | Santigold | L.E.S. Artistes
07 | (09) | Lil Wayne | A Milli
08 | (05) | Kings of Leon | Sex on Fire
09 | (11) | Portishead | Machine Gun
10 | (10) | Portishead | The Rip

01 | (01) | Jay-Z | Empire State of Mind
02 | (02) | Animal Collective | My Girls
03 | (03) | Grizzly Bear | Two Weeks
04 | (05) | Phoenix | 1901
05 | (04) | The xx | Crystalised
06 | (06) | Phoenix | Lisztomania
07 | (07) | Bat for Lashes | Daniel
08 | (09) | Lady Gaga | Bad Romance
09 | (10) | Dirty Projectors | Stillness Is the Move
10 | (08) | Yeah Yeah Yeahs | Zero
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

I didn't get to post the list of the artists with new most acclaimed songs (in bold those with a top 1000 song) :

10,000 Maniacs : Hey Jack Kerouac over Because the Night
Alabama Shakes : Hold On over Don't Wanna Fight
Aldous Harding : The Barrel over Imagining My Man
Antônio Carlos Jobim : Insensatez over Desafinado
Ariana Grande : thank u, next over Problem
Big Thief : Not over Shark Smile
Bilderbuch : Maschin over Bungalow
Bill Callahan : Riding for the Feeling over Dress Sexy at My Funeral (surprisingly Dress Sexy at My Funeral is under Bill Callahan and not Smog in the excel file, which made my life easier, but other songs are still under Smog)
Blawan : Why They Hide Their Bodies Under My Garage? over Getting Me Down
Brian Eno : 1/1 over Baby's on Fire (funilly enough, the 2 songs filed under "Eno" and not "Brian Eno" also switched places)
Broken Social Scene : Almost Crimes over Cause = Time
Carly Rae Jepsen : Run Away With Me  over Call Me Maybe
Childish Gambino : This Is America over Redbone
Ciara : Oh over Body Party
Clap Your Hands Say Yeah : Over & Over Again (Lost & Found) over The Skin of My Country Yellow Teeth
Clifford Brown & Max Roach : Daahoud over Cherokee (Max Brown highest ranked song was Driva' Man but Daahoud passed it too)
Cornelius Brothers & Sister Rose : Too Late to Turn Back Now over Treat Her Like a Lady
Creedence Clearwater Revival : Fortunate Son over Proud Mary
Daniel Johnston : Some Things Last a Long Time over True Love Will Find You in the End
Danny Brown : Dirty Laundry over When It Rain
David Byrne : Everybody's Coming to My House over Who
Deerhunter : Helicopter over Nothing Ever Happened
Deftones : My Own Summer (Shove It) over Change (In the House of Flies)
Dido : White Flag over Thank You
Disclosure : Latch over White Noise
DJ Koze : Pick Up over XTC
Duran Duran : Hungry Like the Wolf over Girls on Film
Eminem : Lose Yourself over Stan
Empress Of : When I'm With Him over Standard
Falco : Der Kommissar over Rock Me Amadeus
Father John Misty : Pure Comedy over Hollywood Forever Cemetery Sings
Florence + The Machine : Shake It Out over Dog Days Are Over
Francis Cabrel : Je l'aime à mourir over La Corrida
Franco Battiato : La cura over Prospettiva Nevski
Fred Astaire : Cheek to Cheek over They Can't Take That Away from Me
Gang Gang Dance : House Jam over Glass Jar
Guided by Voices : Game of Pricks over I Am a Scientist
IDLES : Danny Nedelko over Mother
Irma Thomas : Time Is on My Side over Wish Someone Would Care
Jack White : Lazaretto over Sixteen Saltines
Janelle Monáe : Make Me Feel over Tightrope
Janet Jackson : What Have You Done for Me Lately over Got 'Til It's Gone
Jay Som : Superbike over The Bus Song
Jelly Roll Morton : King Porter Stomp over Black Bottom Stomp
Joan Armatrading : Love and Affection over Drop the Pilot
Joe Tex : Hold What You've Got over Show Me
John Hiatt : Memphis in the Meantime over Riding With the King
John Lee Hooker : Boogie Chillen over Boom Boom
Johnny Cash : Hurt over I Walk the Line
Joni Mitchell : A Case of You over Big Yellow Taxi
Justin Bieber : Sorry over What Do You Mean? 
Kacey Musgraves : Slow Burn over Follow Your Arrow
Kendrick Lamar : Alright  over HUMBLE.
Kenny Loggins : Footloose over Danger Zone
La Roux : Bulletproof over In for the Kill
Larry Williams : Bony Moronie over Short Fat Fannie
Lee Dorsey : Get Out of My Life, Woman over Working in the Coal Mine
Live : I Alone over Lightning Crashes
Lucy Dacus : Night Shift over I Don't Wanna Be Funny Anymore
Lush : Ladykillers over De Luxe
Lynyrd Skynyrd : Sweet Home Alabama over Free Bird
Majical Cloudz : Childhood's End over Downtown 
Mantronix : Needle to the Groove over King of the Beats
Marvin Gaye : What's Going On over I Heard It Through the Grapevine
Mary J. Blige : Real Love over Family Affair
Mastodon : Blood & Thunder over The Motherload
MC Solaar : Nouveau Western over Caroline
Michael Kiwanuka : You Ain't the Problem over Black Man in a White World
Miranda Lambert : Gunpowder and Lead over The House That Built Me
Murray Head : Superstar over One Night in Bangkok
My Bloody Valentine : Soon over Only Shallow
My Morning Jacket : Off the Record over Circuital
Natalia Lafourcade : Hasta la raíz over Azul
Neko Case : This Tornado Loves You over Man
Neon Indian : Polish Girl over Deadbeat Summer
Nicolas Jaar : Space Is Only Noise If You Can See over No
No Age : Teen Creeps over Glitter
Objekt : Theme from Q over Ganzfeld
Ohio Players : Fire over Love Rollercoaster
Paul Revere & The Raiders : Hungry over Kicks
Pearl Jam : Jeremy over Alive
Pusha T : If You Know You Know over Numbers On the Boards
Radio Futura : Escuela de calor over Veneno en la piel
Razorlight : Golden Touch over America
Renaud : Mistral Gagnant over Hexagone
Richard and Linda Thompson : Wall of Death over I Want to See the Bright Lights Tonight
Savages : Husbands over Shut Up
Sharon Van Etten : Seventeen over Your Love Is Killing Me
Simon and Garfunkel : The Sound of Silence over Bridge Over Troubled Water
Slowdive : Star Roving over Sugar for the Pill
Smash Mouth : Walkin' on the Sun over All Star
Snap! : Rhythm Is a Dancer over The Power
Sneaker Pimps : 6 Underground over Spin Spin Sugar
Spoon : The Way We Get By over Do You
Stereolab : Cybele's Reverie over French Disko
Stormzy : Vossi Bop over Big for Your Boots
Sun Kil Moon : Ben's My Friend over Carissa
Super Furry Animals : The Man Don't Give a Fuck over Ice Hockey Hair
Suzi Quatro : Devil Gate Drive over Can the Can
Taylor Swift : Blank Space over Shake It Off
The 1975 : Love It If We Made It over Somebody Else
The Allman Brothers Band : Ramblin' Man over Whipping Post
The Incredible String Band : October Song over A Very Cellular Song
The Move : Blackberry Way over Flowers in the Rain
The Shamen : Pro>gen over Ebeneezer Goode
The Sonics : Strychnine over Psycho
The Vaccines : Post Break-Up Sex over If You Wanna
The Velvet Underground : Heroin over I'm Waiting for the Man
Toro y Moi : Freelance over Still Sound
Tove Lo : Habits (Stay High) over Cool Girl
Vampire Weekend : Hannah Hunt over A-Punk
Vince Staples : Norf Norf over Big Fish
Vitalic : My Friend Dario over La Rock 01
Weyes Blood : Movies over Do You Need My Love
Yazoo : Situation over Only You
Youssou N'Dour : Immigres/Bitim Rew over 7 Seconds

A few of those, like Psycho and Strychnine, seem to go back and forth between update.
Surprised by Broken Social Scene, if one song was going to pass Cause = Time I would have expected it to be Anthem of a Seventeen Year Old Girl.
A bit surprised by the change for Vitalic too.

Surprised either of those 2 Danny Brown songs would be the most acclaimed, and surprised any Blawan song could compete with "Why They Hide Their Bodies Under My Garage".

The ones I think are bad changes are Lynyrd Skynyrd, Francis Cabrel (La Corrida is quite nice I think) and Disclosure.
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

Nassim wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:30 pm Surprised either of those 2 Danny Brown songs would be the most acclaimed, and surprised any Blawan song could compete with "Why They Hide Their Bodies Under My Garage".
"Really Doe" is Danny Brown's most acclaimed song (ranked 2083 while "Dirty Laundry" is 5414), so your intuition is right!
Holden
Never Going Back Again

Post by Holden »

Alright, so I thought that it would be interesting to see which albums were the highest risers and fallers based on scaled method, as opposed to just addition and subtraction. In my mind, it seems like it would be more difficult for an album to go from 500 to 100 than from 3000 to 2000, which additive scales don't account for. So I used the formula used to calculate the artist rankings to assign each album and song a score for both the 2018 and 2020 update, and subtracted those scores to come up with a scaled list.

Here are the fifty highest risers and biggest fallers with this scale, from both the songs and albums lists:
Key:
Rank | Artist | Album/Song | Year | Score | 2018 Rank -> 2020 Rank |

50 Farthest Rising Albums:
1 | Kendrick Lamar | To Pimp a Butterfly | 2015 | 0.487 | 138->17
2 | D'Angelo and The Vanguard | Black Messiah | 2014 | 0.239 | 1206->264
3 | Frank Ocean | Blonde | 2016 | 0.223 | 385->114
4 | Kanye West | My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy | 2010 | 0.216 | 64->26
5 | Beyoncé | Lemonade | 2016 | 0.215 | 411->125
6 | Rihanna | Anti | 2016 | 0.194 | 1932->505
7 | Solange | A Seat at the Table | 2016 | 0.192 | 505->167
8 | David Bowie | Blackstar | 2016 | 0.185 | 179->72
9 | Taylor Swift | 1989 | 2014 | 0.179 | 2358->657
10 | Frank Ocean | Channel Orange | 2012 | 0.175 | 154->66
11 | Carly Rae Jepsen | E*MO*TION | 2015 | 0.173 | 1975->589
12 | Lana Del Rey | Born to Die | 2012 | 0.170 | 2313->687
13 | Beyoncé | Beyoncé | 2013 | 0.154 | 950->354
14 | Robyn | Body Talk | 2010 | 0.145 | 728->296
15 | Sufjan Stevens | Carrie & Lowell | 2015 | 0.124 | 220->115
16 | Arctic Monkeys | AM | 2013 | 0.116 | 847->402
17 | Deafheaven | Sunbather | 2013 | 0.114 | 1398->639
18 | Kanye West | Yeezus | 2013 | 0.113 | 354->187
19 | Future | DS2 | 2015 | 0.109 | 2607->1152
20 | Grouper | Ruins | 2014 | 0.099 | 2477->1183
21 | Lorde | Melodrama | 2017 | 0.095 | 419->240
22 | Tame Impala | Currents | 2015 | 0.088 | 500->295
23 | Marvin Gaye | What's Going On | 1971 | 0.087 | 7->5
24 | SZA | Ctrl | 2017 | 0.084 | 759->442
25 | Kamasi Washington | The Epic | 2015 | 0.084 | 997->570
26 | Lorde | Pure Heroine | 2013 | 0.084 | 2232->1199
27 | Nirvana | Nevermind | 1991 | 0.083 | 3->2
28 | Fiona Apple | The Idler Wheel… | 2012 | 0.082 | 560->339
29 | Chance the Rapper | Acid Rap | 2013 | 0.080 | 1526->866
30 | Oneohtrix Point Never | Replica | 2011 | 0.080 | 1532->871
31 | Arcade Fire | The Suburbs | 2010 | 0.077 | 178->120
32 | Joanna Newsom | Have One On Me | 2010 | 0.075 | 877->535
33 | Vampire Weekend | Modern Vampires of the City | 2013 | 0.075 | 227->152
34 | Drake | Take Care | 2011 | 0.074 | 925->566
35 | Converge | All We Love We Leave Behind | 2012 | 0.070 | 2675->1570
36 | LCD Soundsystem | This Is Happening | 2010 | 0.069 | 366->245
37 | Mount Eerie | A Crow Looked at Me | 2017 | 0.068 | 826->528
38 | Danny Brown | XXX | 2011 | 0.067 | 2521->1520
39 | Against Me! | Transgender Dysphoria Blues | 2014 | 0.059 | 2814->1778
40 | Tyler, the Creator | Flower Boy | 2017 | 0.058 | 1487->983
41 | Parquet Courts | Light Up Gold | 2012 | 0.057 | 2256->1473
42 | Bon Iver | Bon Iver, Bon Iver | 2011 | 0.054 | 387->281
43 | Vince Staples | Summertime '06 | 2015 | 0.054 | 880->616
44 | Mitski | Puberty 2 | 2016 | 0.054 | 1335->916
45 | Shania Twain | Come On Over | 1997 | 0.052 | 2279->1536
46 | Grimes | Visions | 2012 | 0.050 | 579->424
47 | Harry Belafonte | Calypso | 1956 | 0.048 | 1800->1270
48 | Miles Davis | Kind of Blue | 1959 | 0.047 | 35->29
49 | The Original Broadway Cast | West Side Story | 1957 | 0.046 | 930->685
50 | Fiona Apple | When the Pawn... | 1999 | 0.045 | 1604->1160

50 Farthest Falling Albums:
1 | Arcade Fire | Reflektor | 2013 | -0.152 | 490->1360
2 | LCD Soundsystem | American Dream | 2017 | -0.124 | 410->911
3 | Flying Lotus | You're Dead! | 2014 | -0.122 | 687->1607
4 | Disclosure | Settle | 2013 | -0.105 | 388->753
5 | Sun Kil Moon | Benji | 2014 | -0.096 | 451->837
6 | Joanna Newsom | Divers | 2015 | -0.094 | 723->1390
7 | Beck | Morning Phase | 2014 | -0.094 | 1157->2325
8 | The National | Sleep Well Beast | 2017 | -0.091 | 696->1299
9 | tUnE-yArDs | w h o k i l l | 2011 | -0.087 | 601->1081
10 | The Beatles | Revolver | 1966 | -0.083 | 2->3
11 | Julia Holter | Loud City Song | 2013 | -0.082 | 1193->2189
12 | St. Vincent | St. Vincent | 2014 | -0.081 | 320->523
13 | Deerhunter | Fading Frontier | 2015 | -0.080 | 1468->2688
14 | Kurt Vile | b'lieve i'm goin down | 2015 | -0.078 | 1204->2146
15 | St. Vincent | MASSEDUCTION | 2017 | -0.078 | 540->903
16 | Kanye West | The Life of Pablo | 2016 | -0.078 | 898->1562
17 | David Bowie | The Next Day | 2013 | -0.078 | 1015->1780
18 | Swans | To Be Kind | 2014 | -0.073 | 615->1004
19 | Big Boi | Sir Lucious Left Foot: The Son of Chico Dusty | 2010 | -0.073 | 875->1464
20 | Tom Waits | Bad As Me | 2011 | -0.072 | 1129->1918
21 | Aphex Twin | Syro | 2014 | -0.072 | 713->1169
22 | Oneohtrix Point Never | Garden of Delete | 2015 | -0.072 | 1285->2188
23 | Vince Staples | Big Fish Theory | 2017 | -0.070 | 630->1008
24 | Killer Mike | R.A.P. Music | 2012 | -0.068 | 1016->1654
25 | Blur | The Magic Whip | 2015 | -0.068 | 1404->2336
26 | Spoon | They Want My Soul | 2014 | -0.065 | 1013->1614
27 | Beach House | Depression Cherry | 2015 | -0.065 | 1756->2896
28 | Sampha | Process | 2017 | -0.063 | 1107->1753
29 | Sleater-Kinney | No Cities to Love | 2015 | -0.063 | 670->1027
30 | Future Islands | Singles | 2014 | -0.060 | 1084->1674
31 | Real Estate | Days | 2011 | -0.059 | 1226->1898
32 | Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti | Before Today | 2010 | -0.059 | 867->1314
33 | Father John Misty | Pure Comedy | 2017 | -0.059 | 965->1468
34 | Grizzly Bear | Shields | 2012 | -0.059 | 849->1281
35 | Wild Beasts | Smother | 2011 | -0.058 | 1310->2016
36 | Dirty Projectors | Swing Lo Magellan | 2012 | -0.057 | 972->1460
37 | Vampire Weekend | Contra | 2010 | -0.057 | 891->1328
38 | Caribou | Swim | 2010 | -0.057 | 738->1086
39 | The War on Drugs | A Deeper Understanding | 2017 | -0.055 | 581->833
40 | Cloud Nothings | Attack on Memory | 2012 | -0.054 | 1126->1665
41 | James Blake | James Blake | 2011 | -0.054 | 317->438
42 | Boards of Canada | Tomorrow's Harvest | 2013 | -0.053 | 1520->2264
43 | Kendrick Lamar | untitled unmastered. | 2016 | -0.053 | 1895->2851
44 | The Smiths | The Queen Is Dead | 1986 | -0.053 | 22->27
45 | Laura Marling | Once I Was an Eagle | 2013 | -0.053 | 1972->2971
46 | Perfume Genius | Too Bright | 2014 | -0.053 | 1169->1713
47 | The Horrors | Skying | 2011 | -0.052 | 1679->2499
48 | Run the Jewels | Run the Jewels 2 | 2014 | -0.052 | 334->457
49 | Jack White | Blunderbuss | 2012 | -0.051 | 1156->1680
50 | Godspeed You! Black Emperor | Allelujah! Don't Bend! Ascend! | 2012 | -0.051 | 1645->2423

50 Farthest Rising Songs:
1 | Kendrick Lamar | Alright | 2015 | 0.356 | 454->69
2 | Robyn | Dancing on My Own | 2010 | 0.344 | 463->74
3 | Grimes | Oblivion | 2012 | 0.282 | 368->83
4 | M.I.A. | Bad Girls | 2012 | 0.255 | 1105->225
5 | Beyoncé | Formation | 2016 | 0.227 | 236->75
6 | Mitski | Your Best American Girl | 2016 | 0.216 | 657->183
7 | Frank Ocean | Thinkin Bout You | 2012 | 0.207 | 1051->283
8 | Lorde | Royals | 2013 | 0.202 | 266->93
9 | Sky Ferreira | Everything Is Embarrassing | 2012 | 0.201 | 2475->592
10 | Frank Ocean | Nights | 2016 | 0.196 | 1887->491
11 | Carly Rae Jepsen | Run Away With Me | 2015 | 0.194 | 1723->460
12 | LCD Soundsystem | Dance Yrself Clean | 2010 | 0.193 | 843->255
13 | Justin Bieber | Sorry | 2015 | 0.185 | 4743->1130
14 | Taylor Swift | Blank Space | 2014 | 0.177 | 3137->848
15 | Billie Holiday | Strange Fruit | 1939 | 0.176 | 75->35
16 | Lana Del Rey | Video Games | 2011 | 0.171 | 289->116
17 | Katy Perry | Teenage Dream | 2010 | 0.169 | 3705->1029
18 | Solange | Cranes in the Sky | 2016 | 0.168 | 430->166
19 | Phoebe Bridgers | Motion Sickness | 2017 | 0.166 | 6117->1607
20 | Sophie | Bipp | 2013 | 0.166 | 2646->789
21 | Kanye West | Runaway | 2010 | 0.163 | 209->91
22 | Aretha Franklin | Respect | 1967 | 0.162 | 11->6
23 | Judy Garland | Over the Rainbow | 1939 | 0.159 | 379->156
24 | Arcade Fire | The Suburbs | 2010 | 0.154 | 3524->1097
25 | Childish Gambino | Redbone | 2016 | 0.154 | 2899->928
26 | Vince Staples | Norf Norf | 2015 | 0.151 | 3248->1040
27 | Bing Crosby | White Christmas | 1942 | 0.150 | 867->336
28 | Azealia Banks | 212 | 2011 | 0.149 | 684->274
29 | Spoon | Inside Out | 2014 | 0.142 | 5889->1866
30 | Frank Ocean | Pyramids | 2012 | 0.139 | 234->113
31 | Father John Misty | Chateau Lobby #4 (in C for Two Virgins) | 2014 | 0.138 | 7623->2405
32 | Robyn | Call Your Girlfriend | 2010 | 0.136 | 6114->2015
33 | Cab Calloway | Minnie the Moocher | 1931 | 0.135 | 895->376
34 | Cardi B | Bodak Yellow | 2017 | 0.135 | 799->342
35 | Michael Jackson | Billie Jean | 1982 | 0.132 | 18->11
36 | Miley Cyrus | Wrecking Ball | 2013 | 0.131 | 4976->1753
37 | Hank Williams | I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry | 1949 | 0.128 | 257->130
38 | Mark Ronson | Uptown Funk | 2014 | 0.125 | 1950->798
39 | Christine and The Queens | Christine [2014]/Tilted [2015] | 2014 | 0.123 | 9345->3231
40 | The Ink Spots | If I Didn't Care | 1939 | 0.123 | 3837->1477
41 | Bessie Smith | St. Louis Blues | 1925 | 0.120 | 937->430
42 | Woody Guthrie | This Land Is Your Land | 1945 | 0.118 | 303->158
43 | The Haydn Quartet | Take Me Out to the Ball Game | 1908 | 0.114 | 9814->3641
44 | The War on Drugs | Under the Pressure | 2014 | 0.113 | 2914->1242
45 | Migos feat. Lil Uzi Vert | Bad and Boujee | 2016 | 0.113 | 5104->2055
46 | Bon Iver | Holocene | 2011 | 0.112 | 1209->566
47 | Bobby Shmurda | Hot Nigga | 2014 | 0.112 | 7464->2892
48 | Lil' Jon and The Eastside Boyz | Get Low | 2002 | 0.112 | 3456->1453
49 | M.I.A. | Paper Planes | 2007 | 0.112 | 31->20
50 | Beyoncé | Drunk In Love | 2013 | 0.111 | 3441->1464

50 Farthest Falling Songs:
1 | The Rolling Stones | (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction | 1965 | -0.183 | 5->10
2 | Mumford & Sons | Little Lion Man | 2008 | -0.123 | 848->2056
3 | The Rolling Stones | Sympathy for the Devil | 1968 | -0.120 | 14->22
4 | Sex Pistols | God Save the Queen | 1977 | -0.117 | 25->40
5 | Radiohead | Burn the Witch | 2016 | -0.102 | 658->1330
6 | Kendrick Lamar | HUMBLE. | 2017 | -0.102 | 194->345
7 | Muse | Uprising | 2009 | -0.099 | 2608->5941
8 | The War on Drugs | Red Eyes | 2013 | -0.098 | 466->880
9 | Drake feat. Wizkid and Kyla | One Dance | 2016 | -0.096 | 1307->2695
10 | The Beatles | Strawberry Fields Forever | 1967 | -0.095 | 16->23
11 | Tame Impala | Elephant | 2012 | -0.093 | 963->1888
12 | The Who | My Generation | 1965 | -0.091 | 10->14
13 | Kanye West | New Slaves | 2013 | -0.091 | 964->1856
14 | LCD Soundsystem | Tonite | 2017 | -0.089 | 2501->5178
15 | Spoon | Do You | 2014 | -0.088 | 1321->2564
16 | Bon Iver | 33 "God" | 2016 | -0.087 | 1689->3329
17 | Lana Del Rey | Love | 2017 | -0.086 | 2117->4212
18 | Father John Misty | Ballad of the Dying Man | 2017 | -0.086 | 4003->8416
19 | Courtney Barnett & Kurt Vile | Over Everything | 2017 | -0.085 | 1660->3221
20 | Frank Ocean | Nikes | 2016 | -0.081 | 1167->2120
21 | Vince Staples | Big Fish | 2017 | -0.080 | 3011->5892
22 | Led Zeppelin | Whole Lotta Love | 1969 | -0.079 | 48->68
23 | The Rolling Stones | Paint It, Black | 1966 | -0.078 | 79->115
24 | Led Zeppelin | Kashmir | 1975 | -0.077 | 100->147
25 | Haim | Want You Back | 2017 | -0.077 | 3421->6571
26 | Jimi Hendrix | Hey Joe | 1966 | -0.077 | 231->359
27 | The National | The System Only Dreams in Total Darkness | 2017 | -0.075 | 1467->2597
28 | The Black Keys | Lonely Boy | 2011 | -0.075 | 538->882
29 | Spoon | Hot Thoughts | 2017 | -0.074 | 3550->6634
30 | The War on Drugs | Holding On | 2017 | -0.073 | 2996->5516
31 | Frank Ocean | Bad Religion | 2012 | -0.072 | 2469->4446
32 | Jack White | Sixteen Saltines | 2012 | -0.072 | 2665->4825
33 | Beastie Boys | Sabotage | 1994 | -0.072 | 179->266
34 | Jimi Hendrix | Purple Haze | 1967 | -0.072 | 32->43
35 | The Who | Won't Get Fooled Again | 1971 | -0.071 | 133->193
36 | Jimi Hendrix | Little Wing | 1967 | -0.071 | 473->746
37 | The Rolling Stones | Jumpin' Jack Flash | 1968 | -0.071 | 56->77
38 | PJ Harvey | The Words That Maketh Murder | 2011 | -0.070 | 1283->2165
39 | Foster the People | Pumped Up Kicks | 2010 | -0.070 | 1075->1791
40 | Lou Reed | Walk on the Wild Side | 1972 | -0.070 | 52->71
41 | The Vaccines | If You Wanna | 2011 | -0.070 | 3608->6523
42 | MC5 | Kick Out the Jams | 1969 | -0.069 | 188->276
43 | Nicki Minaj | Anaconda | 2014 | -0.068 | 3744->6689
44 | St. Vincent | Prince Johnny | 2014 | -0.068 | 2775->4853
45 | Justin Bieber | What Do You Mean? | 2015 | -0.068 | 2606->4527
46 | Arcade Fire | Ready to Start | 2010 | -0.068 | 1196->1968
47 | Skepta | Man | 2016 | -0.067 | 2590->4468
48 | The Beatles | While My Guitar Gently Weeps | 1968 | -0.066 | 172->247
49 | Slowdive | Sugar for the Pill | 2017 | -0.066 | 2039->3432
50 | Björk | The Gate | 2017 | -0.066 | 4581->8142
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

Holden wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:27 pm 50 Farthest Falling Albums:
3 | Flying Lotus | You're Dead! | 2014 | -0.122 | 687->1607
5 | Sun Kil Moon | Benji | 2014 | -0.096 | 451->837
6 | Joanna Newsom | Divers | 2015 | -0.094 | 723->1390
11 | Julia Holter | Loud City Song | 2013 | -0.082 | 1193->2189
18 | Swans | To Be Kind | 2014 | -0.073 | 615->1004
24 | Killer Mike | R.A.P. Music | 2012 | -0.068 | 1016->1654
38 | Caribou | Swim | 2010 | -0.057 | 738->1086
41 | James Blake | James Blake | 2011 | -0.054 | 317->438
45 | Laura Marling | Once I Was an Eagle | 2013 | -0.053 | 1972->2971
48 | Run the Jewels | Run the Jewels 2 | 2014 | -0.052 | 334->457
A lot of the big fallers were really good albums that don't fit neatly into one of the major styles favored by critics and were by artists with no mainstream hits. The biggest risers mostly represented a consolidated behind existing favorites plus a full-throated embrace of pop and R&B, and almost all of the top risers were by artists with big name recognition.
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

Holden wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:27 pm 2 | D'Angelo and The Vanguard | Black Messiah | 2014 | 0.239 | 1206->264
This album was released in mid-December, so it was shut out form all the year-end lists at the time. I've always hated that year-end lists don't wait until the year is over and this is a perfect example of why they should.
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

2 | Mumford & Sons | Little Lion Man | 2008 | -0.123 | 848->2056

Can't complain about either dropping but I'm still curious what caused these 2 in particular to drop in a 2010s focused update. I'm sure the addition of genres had an impact but with plenty rock songs in the list, why would those be singled out ?
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Nassim wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:09 am 2 | Mumford & Sons | Little Lion Man | 2008 | -0.123 | 848->2056

Can't complain about either dropping but I'm still curious what caused these 2 in particular to drop in a 2010s focused update. I'm sure the addition of genres had an impact but with plenty rock songs in the list, why would those be singled out ?
Oops, both songs were hurt by somehow being added to the 2010s end of decade spreadsheet, although they are from the late 2000s.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”