2020 EOY Prediction's Thread (Spoilers)

Nick
Running Up That Hill

Re: 2020 EOY Prediction's Thread (Spoilers)

Post by Nick »

Here's our top 20 albums. Where will they rank?

1. Adrianne Lenker | songs/instrumentals
2. Bob Dylan | Rough and Rowdy Ways
3. Charli XCX | how i'm feeling now
4. Dua Lipa | Future Nostalgia
5. Fiona Apple | Fetch the Bolt Cutters
6. Fleet Foxes | Shore
7. HAIM | Women in Music Pt. III
8. Jessie Ware | What’s Your Pleasure?
9. Laura Marling | Song For Our Daughter
10. Perfume Genius | Set My Heart on Fire Immediately
11. Phoebe Bridgers | Punisher
12. Rina Sawayama | Sawayama
13. Run the Jewels | RTJ4
14. Sault | Untitled (Black Is)
15. Sault | Untitled (Rise)
16. Sufjan Stevens | The Ascension
17. Taylor Swift | folklore
18. The Strokes | The New Abnormal
19. Waxahatchee | Saint Cloud
20. Yves Tumor | Heaven To a Tortured Mind
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

My guess:
1. Fiona Apple | Fetch the Bolt Cutters
2. Phoebe Bridgers | Punisher
3. Dua Lipa | Future Nostalgia
4. Jessie Ware | What’s Your Pleasure?
5. Perfume Genius | Set My Heart on Fire Immediately
6. Run the Jewels | RTJ4
7. Bob Dylan | Rough and Rowdy Ways
8. Taylor Swift | folklore
9. Sault | Untitled (Rise)
10. Sault | Untitled (Black Is)
11. Yves Tumor | Heaven To a Tortured Mind
12. Fleet Foxes | Shore
13. HAIM | Women in Music Pt. III
14. Waxahatchee | Saint Cloud
15. Adrianne Lenker | songs/instrumentals
16. Laura Marling | Song For Our Daughter
17. Sufjan Stevens | The Ascension
18. Charli XCX | how i'm feeling now
19. The Strokes | The New Abnormal
20. Rina Sawayama | Sawayama
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Holden wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:35 pm Okay, new question:
What will be the lowest album on the Critics list in our Top 10? Top 20?
Well the top 20 is figured out and it's gotta be the Laura Marling album.

As for the top 10 I have a strong feeling it's Jessie Ware's album.
acroamor
Shake Some Action

Post by acroamor »

My guess:

1. FTBC
2. Punisher
3. Future Nostalgia
4. Heaven to a Tortured Mind
5. What's Your Pleasure
6. Set My Heart on Fire
7. Untitled (Black Is)
8. Rough and Rowdy Ways
9. RTJ4
10. Saint Cloud
11. The New Abnormal
12. Sawayama
13. Untitled (Rise)
14. Women in Music Pt. III
15. Folklore
16. songs/instrumentals
17. The Ascension
18. How I'm Feeling Now
19. Song for Our Daughter
20. Shore
poorpete
Strange Fruit

Post by poorpete »

Will Future Nostalgia or folklore get a bump if they win the Best Album Grammy next month, or would it be negligible?
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

poorpete wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:12 am Will Future Nostalgia or folklore get a bump if they win the Best Album Grammy next month, or would it be negligible?
This thread is for the forum poll, to which all the lists have already been submitted.

For the critics list, I believe Grammy winners get a small bump in acclaim.
poorpete
Strange Fruit

Post by poorpete »

Ahh, thanks!
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Our top 10:

1. Dua Lipa | Future Nostalgia
2. Fiona Apple | Fetch the Bolt Cutters
3. Fleet Foxes | Shore
4. Jessie Ware | What’s Your Pleasure?
5. Laura Marling | Song For Our Daughter
6. Perfume Genius | Set My Heart on Fire Immediately
7. Phoebe Bridgers | Punisher
8. Run the Jewels | RTJ4
9. Taylor Swift | folklore
10. The Strokes | The New Abnormal
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

So what’s the deal with Laura Marling? This is the third time in the past 10 years that she’s got an album in our top 10 of the year. And in spite of this I almost never see her talked about on the forum. Her albums tend to land around the 30-40 position on the critics list, which is certainly respectable but by no means extremely acclaimed. So what gives? I’m not a hater or anything, I think her music is fine, I’m just really curious about where all these hidden Laura Marling fans are.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Also a big congrats to The Strokes, a band who I never thought would release such a beloved album again.
Holden
Never Going Back Again

Post by Holden »

Nick wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:51 pm Also a big congrats to The Strokes, a band who I never thought would release such a beloved album again.
I was shocked to see the Strokes so high on the list. I enjoyed the album enough, I think I had it at 38 on my list, but I didn't expect it to be so beloved. I kept expecting it to fall out of the top ten, but it stuck around. In my mind, its really not even on the same level as their first two records, but I also don't think that the band wanted to create another Is This It.
"The better a singer's voice, the harder it is to believe what they're saying."
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

Nick wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:49 pm So what’s the deal with Laura Marling? This is the third time in the past 10 years that she’s got an album in our top 10 of the year. And in spite of this I almost never see her talked about on the forum. Her albums tend to land around the 30-40 position on the critics list, which is certainly respectable but by no means extremely acclaimed. So what gives? I’m not a hater or anything, I think her music is fine, I’m just really curious about where all these hidden Laura Marling fans are.
I feel like Marling is discussed on here quite a bit! Also she's almost always nominated in the various polls/tournaments that we have. Like I said on the rollout thread, I didn't think this year's album was quite up to her usual standard, but I still voted it 35th on my list so it's not like I'm disappointed to see it do well. Her 2013 album Once I Was an Eagle is my favorite and is probably the best entry point into her work for the unconverted.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Jackson wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:20 pm
Nick wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:49 pm So what’s the deal with Laura Marling? This is the third time in the past 10 years that she’s got an album in our top 10 of the year. And in spite of this I almost never see her talked about on the forum. Her albums tend to land around the 30-40 position on the critics list, which is certainly respectable but by no means extremely acclaimed. So what gives? I’m not a hater or anything, I think her music is fine, I’m just really curious about where all these hidden Laura Marling fans are.
I feel like Marling is discussed on here quite a bit! Also she's almost always nominated in the various polls/tournaments that we have. Like I said on the rollout thread, I didn't think this year's album was quite up to her usual standard, but I still voted it 35th on my list so it's not like I'm disappointed to see it do well. Her 2013 album Once I Was an Eagle is my favorite and is probably the best entry point into her work for the unconverted.
All I can say is that I guess I just don’t see those posts. Or if I do see then I kinda just ignore them because I’m not a huge fan of her work (as I said before I think her music is fine, but that’s about it). Oh well! Glad her fans are happy.
mileswide
Full of Fire

Post by mileswide »

Nick wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:49 pm So what’s the deal with Laura Marling? This is the third time in the past 10 years that she’s got an album in our top 10 of the year. And in spite of this I almost never see her talked about on the forum.
Hidden fan popping out of the woodwork :greetings-waveyellow: Marling makes it tricky for us to talk about her: her sound only undergoes incremental changes each album, nothing about her is flashy, you never really witness a fluctuation in quality from her (except the leap from Alas, I Cannot Swim to I Speak Because I Can imo). Her releases tend to be slow burns but I found Song for Her Daughter was really easy to get into- For You especially is the most straightforward song she's made in years and may well be the prettiest melody of her career. None of the album is likely to change minds but it invites the listener into its world with immediacy and emotional honesty.
All I got inside is vacancy!
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Nick wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:28 pm
Jackson wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:20 pm
All I can say is that I guess I just don’t see those posts. Or if I do see then I kinda just ignore them because I’m not a huge fan of her work (as I said before I think her music is fine, but that’s about it). Oh well! Glad her fans are happy.
I also feel she has actually been talked about here a lot; more than in most places. I personally have written about her on many places, including the decade artist poll, where she also did surprisingly well. A few of her albums have also popped up at Moderately Acclaimed (this year again). Songs for Our Daughter is not among my favorites by her (though I agree with mileswide that For You is a real highlight), but I have I Speak Because I Can in my all-time top 10.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”