Rate the Album 11: Sufjan Stevens’ Carrie & Lowell

Please rate Sufjan Stevens’ Carrie and Lowell on a scale from 1-10!

01/10
No votes
02/10
No votes
03/10
No votes
04/10
11%
05/10
3%
06/10
6%
07/10
11%
08/10
25%
09/10
19%
10/10
25%

Total votes: 36

Holden
Never Going Back Again

Rate the Album 11: Sufjan Stevens’ Carrie & Lowell

Post by Holden »

Hello! This will be the first album after our initial ten albums taken from the previous All-Time Albums Poll in 2017! For this, I am going to be introducing a bit more randomness into the poll now, adding in some newer and a bit more varied albums as the days go by. Luckily (for me at least) the first random entry is one of my personal favorite as well as one of the best albums of the 2010s! Today’s album: Carrie & Lowell by Sufjan Stevens. Please rate it on a scale from 1-10! Thank you!
Last edited by Holden on Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The better a singer's voice, the harder it is to believe what they're saying."
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Re: Rate the Album 11: Sufjan Stevens’ Carrie & Lowell

Post by Sweepstakes Ron »

Does anyone know why the hell "Should Have Known Better" isn't appearing on any of the EOD lists?
Splish splash, I was raking in the cash
Safetycat
Feeling Good

Post by Safetycat »

First time listening to Carrie and Lowell. I might like it better than Illinois. Feels more consistent in quality, and I prefer the more mature voice Sufjan has here. Definitely something I want to listen to more - it can have an 8, just because I'm not super familiar with it yet.

(I figured I'd share my thoughts on albums that are new to me in these threads)
StyleItTakes
Are You Experienced?

Post by StyleItTakes »

I was not familiar with Carrie & Lowell, although I became a fan of Sufjan's work through his 2005 experimental pop record Illinois (9/10), in particular the track that was at the center of that album, Chicago, a song so magnificent, it seems to capture the feeling of the past, present and future colliding.

His 2010 follow up album The Age of Adz (7/10) and his most recent album The Ascension (7/10) are albums I've also spent time listening to and enjoying. Yet, somehow, I never got round to listening to Carrie & Lowell, despite the universal acclaim and recognition it received.

I spent time this morning with the album, and it's staggering. The melodies are the strongest of his career, and the production is beautiful. May be better than Illinois.

9/10
Why don't you sit right over there
We'll do a movie portrait
I'll turn the camera on
And I won't even be there
A portrait that moves
You look great I think

Return to “Rate the album”