Rate the Album 29: The Jimi Hendrix Experience's Are You Experienced

Please rate The Jimi Hendrix Experience's Are You Experienced a rating from 1-10

01/10
No votes
02/10
No votes
03/10
No votes
04/10
3%
05/10
No votes
06/10
No votes
07/10
6%
08/10
9%
09/10
47%
10/10
35%

Total votes: 34

Holden
Never Going Back Again

Rate the Album 29: The Jimi Hendrix Experience's Are You Experienced

Post by Holden »

Please rate The Jimi Hendrix Experience's Are You Experienced a rating from 1-10! Thank you.
Last edited by Holden on Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The better a singer's voice, the harder it is to believe what they're saying."
Madzong
Shake Some Action

Re: Rate the Album 29: The Jimi Hendrix Experience's Are You Experienced

Post by Madzong »

Great album - it almost plays like a greatest hits - that's how good it is
"On a mountain range, I'm Dr. Strange"
mileswide
Full of Fire

Post by mileswide »

I didn't expect to enjoy this album as much as I did when I first heard it- I've never been an avid listener of Hendrix- but it's experimental and anthemic in equal measure, it's just straight fire!
All I got inside is vacancy!
Akhenaten
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Akhenaten »

Are we voting on the UK version (from May 67)?
Or the US version (from Aug 67)?
The US version includes Purple Haze, Hey Joe & The Wind Cries Mary, which the UK version doesn't.
But I was caught, like a fleeting thought,
Stuck inside Leonard Cohen's mind
Holden
Never Going Back Again

Post by Holden »

Akhenaten wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:15 am Are we voting on the UK version (from May 67)?
The US version includes Purple Haze, Hey Joe & The Wind Cries Mary, which the UK version doesn't.
[/quote}

I'm not familiar with the UK Version, so I guess average them if you've heard both, or just the one you're familiar with.
"The better a singer's voice, the harder it is to believe what they're saying."
Akhenaten
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Akhenaten »

Holden wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:55 pm
Akhenaten wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:15 am Are we voting on the UK version (from May 67)?
I'm not familiar with the UK Version, so I guess average them if you've heard both, or just the one you're familiar with.
I've never heard either versions to be honest. But when I went to listen to it on Spotify I got the UK version, so was puzzled by Madzong's "it's like a greatest hits" comment. So looked into it a bit more and found out the US version contains Purple Haze, Hey Joe & The Wind Cries Mary like I say - which must make a massive difference to an album. So wondered which I should be rating, as the UK version is pretty much the original, and he did make it there first and it was released there first.

But Iisten to both and compare and contrast! :D
But I was caught, like a fleeting thought,
Stuck inside Leonard Cohen's mind
Illiniq
Strange Fruit

Post by Illiniq »

10/10 As great as album's get - #3 all time in my book, one of rock's instrumental quantum leaps, but one of the best collections of singles ever released also. Only VU & Nico, Astral Weeks better.
Shaohao
Debut

Post by Shaohao »

"Are You Experienced" is a very important and innovative album. It is one of the earliest examples of hard rock and at the same time the first so mature and fully educated. However, although it is an unquestionable milestone, even ahead of its time, the music contained on it did not come from nowhere. Creating this material, Henrdix was undoubtedly influenced by what was then popular on the rock scene. "Red House" is a textbook example of free, twelve-bar blues, with electrifying guitar solos. In those days, such playing was very popular among rock musicians. Although it was already clearly giving way to the new fashion, psychedelic rock, whose influences are also heard here. Especially in two tracks - the title song "Are You Experienced?", in which a psychedelic atmosphere was achieved thanks to the reversed tape effect, guitar rasps and monotonously repeated piano sound, and "Third Stone from the Sun", in which the mood is created by the mix, hypnotic rhythm section playing, spatial guitar parts and wind sounds, and other sound effects. A very psychedelic guitar takeoff also appears in "I Don't Live Today". However, the album is dominated by very specific, heavy, chic and energetic playing. The flagship example is "Foxy Lady", based on a fantastic riff (it's one of the first so expressive riffs). It is not inferior to the slightly less known "Manic Depression", "Can You See Me", "Love or Confusion" and almost punk "Fire". In all these tracks there are great guitar shows, unfortunately quite short because of the "radio" duration of the tracks. The whole is complemented by two calmer compositions, of a slightly pop character - the song "Remember" and the ballad "May This Be Love".

"Are You Experienced" is an album, which you simply shouldn't be unaware of, no matter what music you prefer. It is one of the most important and best rock releases, whose influence on the later music is impossible to measure or overestimate. It is also a sensational document of the times when this work was created.

It is 10/10 for me.

Return to “Rate the album”