Unquestionable Presence

Re: EOY 2020 - Grammys (USA)

Post by Donchano »

What about Song of the Year?
acroamor
Shake Some Action

Post by acroamor »

Song of the year is specifically a songwriting award, rather than Record of the Year, which refers to an actual specific recorded version.
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

Donchano wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:54 am What about Song of the Year?
Song of the Year is purely a writers' award. Record is for the overall recording itself, so it's more appropriate for inclusion here. Also, although the two categories almost never match up nominee-for-nominee, there's enough overlap to make it redundant to include both of them.
Donchano
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Donchano »

acroamor wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:50 pm Song of the year is specifically a songwriting award, rather than Record of the Year, which refers to an actual specific recorded version.
SOTY also related to quality of the song so I don't understand the exclusion
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

Donchano wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:54 pm
acroamor wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:50 pm Song of the year is specifically a songwriting award, rather than Record of the Year, which refers to an actual specific recorded version.
SOTY also related to quality of the song so I don't understand the exclusion
There is a difference between a song as music and lyrics on a page and a recording of that song. If that wasn't the case, there would not be multiple versions of the same song (e.g., "I Heard It Through the Grapevine," "All Along the Watchtower") on AM.
panam
Full of Fire

Post by panam »

panam wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:52 pm Record and Album of the Year

https://www.grammy.com/grammys/news/202 ... inees-list

Record of the Year
“Black Parade” — Beyoncé — Beyoncé & Derek Dixie, producers; Stuart White, engineer/mixer; Colin Leonard, mastering engineer
“Colors” — Black Pumas — Adrian Quesada, producer; Adrian Quesada, engineer/mixer; JJ Golden, mastering engineer
“Rockstar” —DaBaby Featuring Roddy Ricch — SethinTheKitchen, producer; Derek “MixedByAli” Ali, Chris Dennis & Liz Robson, engineers/mixers; Susan Tabor, mastering engineer
“Say So” — Doja Cat — Tyson Trax, producer; Clint Gibbs, engineer/mixer; Mike Bozzi, mastering engineer
“Everything I Wanted” — Billie Eilish — Finneas O’Connell, producer; Rob Kinelski & Finneas O’Connell, engineers/mixers; John Greenham, mastering engineer
“Don’t Start Now” — Dua Lipa — Caroline Ailin & Ian Kirkpatrick, producers; Josh Gudwin, Drew Jurecka & Ian Kirkpatrick, engineers/mixers; Chris Gehringer, mastering engineer
“Circles” — Post Malone — Louis Bell, Frank Dukes & Post Malone, producers; Louis Bell & Manny Marroquin, engineers/mixers; Mike Bozzi, mastering engineer
“Savage” — Megan Thee Stallion Featuring Beyoncé — Beyoncé & J. White Did It, producers; Stuart White, engineer/mixer; Colin Leonard, mastering engineer

Album of the Year
“Chilombo” — Jhené Aiko — Fisticuffs & Julian-Quán Việt Lê, producers; Fisticuffs, Julian-Quán Việt Lê, Zeke Mishanec, Christian Plata & Gregg Rominiecki, engineers/mixers; Jhené Aiko Efuru Chilombo, Julian-Quán Việt Lê, Maclean Robinson & Brian Keith Warfield, songwriters; Dave Kutch, mastering engineer
“Black Pumas (Deluxe Edition)” — Black Pumas — Jon Kaplan & Adrian Quesada, producers; Adrian Quesada, Jacob Sciba, Stuart Sikes & Erik Wofford, engineers/mixers; Eric Burton & Adrian Quesada, songwriters; JJ Golden, mastering engineer
“Everyday Life” — Coldplay — Daniel Green, Bill Rahko & Rik Simpson, producers; Mark “Spike” Stent, engineer/mixer; Guy Berryman, Jonny Buckland, Will Champion & Chris Martin, songwriters; Emily Lazar, mastering engineer
“Djesse Vol.3” — Jacob Collier — Jacob Collier, producer; Ben Bloomberg & Jacob Collier, engineers/mixers; Jacob Collier, songwriter; Chris Allgood & Emily Lazar, mastering engineers
“Women in Music Pt. III” — HAIM — Rostam Batmanglij, Danielle Haim & Ariel Rechtshaid, producers; Rostam Batmanglij, Jasmine Chen, John DeBold, Matt DiMona, Tom Elmhirst, Joey Messina-Doerning & Ariel Rechtshaid, engineers/mixers; Rostam Batmanglij, Alana Haim, Danielle Haim, Este Haim & Ariel Rechtshaid, songwriters; Emily Lazar, mastering engineer
“Future Nostalgia” — Dua Lipa — Koz, producer; Josh Gudwin & Cameron Gower Poole, engineers/mixers; Clarence Coffee Jr. & Dua Lipa, songwriters; Chris Gehringer, mastering engineer
“Hollywood’s Bleeding” — Post Malone — Louis Bell & Frank Dukes, producers; Louis Bell & Manny Marroquin, engineers/mixers; Louis Bell, Adam Feeney, Austin Post & Billy Walsh, songwriters; Mike Bozzi, mastering engineer
“Folklore” — Taylor Swift — Jack Antonoff, Aaron Dessner & Taylor Swift, producers; Jack Antonoff, Aaron Dessner, Serban Ghenea, John Hanes, Jonathan Low & Laura Sisk, engineers/mixers; Aaron Dessner & Taylor Swift, songwriters; Randy Merrill, mastering engineer
Mason
Wannabe

Post by Mason »

I'm really rooting for "Don't Start Now" to win RotY.

Also, what's the deal with this Black Pumas group? I've never listened to them, so I don't know if they're any good, but I haven't seen them on the EoY lists, and they haven't been that commercially successful, at least compared to the typical major Grammy Award nominee.

They were also nominated for Best New Artist last year. The Recording Academy really seems to like them.
Holden
Never Going Back Again

Post by Holden »

Mason wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:09 am I'm really rooting for "Don't Start Now" to win RotY.

Also, what's the deal with this Black Pumas group? I've never listened to them, so I don't know if they're any good, but I haven't seen them on the EoY lists, and they haven't been that commercially successful, at least compared to the typical major Grammy Award nominee.

They were also nominated for Best New Artist last year. The Recording Academy really seems to like them.
They’re great! They don’t have a lot of releases material but their one album is a nice gem.
"The better a singer's voice, the harder it is to believe what they're saying."
Mason
Wannabe

Post by Mason »

Holden wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:17 am
Mason wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:09 am I'm really rooting for "Don't Start Now" to win RotY.

They’re great! They don’t have a lot of releases material but their one album is a nice gem.
I just got finished listening to "Colors". Pretty good! While I would've rather seen The Weeknd get some nods, props to the Academy for nominating something a bit more under-the-radar. I might check out their debut sooner or later.
Edre Depeche Head
Movin' On Up

Post by Edre Depeche Head »

I gotta pretty basic and average question but are we counting nominations or only the winners?
Edre the Depeche Head
Mason
Wannabe

Post by Mason »

Edre Peraza wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:06 pm I gotta pretty basic and average question but are we counting nominations or only the winners?
Both nominees and winners are counted every year.
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

Quick note that, thanks to the pandemic surge, the Grammy ceremony has been postponed from January 31 to March 14.

Return to “EOY 2020”