2021 Grammy Nominations

Harold
Into the Groove

2021 Grammy Nominations

Post by Harold »

The Grammy nominations are out, and here are the nominees in the relevant major categories:

Album of the Year
Jon Batiste - We Are
Tony Bennett and Lady Gaga – Love for Sale
Justin Bieber – Justice (Triple Chucks Deluxe)
Doja Cat – Planet Her (Deluxe)
Billie Eilish – Happier Than Ever
H.E.R. – Back of My Mind
Lil Nas X – Montero
Olivia Rodrigo – Sour
Taylor Swift – Evermore
Kanye West – Donda

Record of the Year
ABBA – I Still Have Faith in You
Jon Batiste – Freedom
Tony Bennett, Lady Gaga – I Get a Kick Out of You
Justin Bieber, Daniel Cesar, Giveon – Peaches
Brandi Carlile – Right on Time
Doja Cat, SZA – Kiss Me More
Lil Nas X – Montero (Call Me by Your Name)
Olivia Rodrigo – Drivers License
Silk Sonic – Leave the Door Open

Song of the Year
Ed Sheeran – Bad Habits
Alicia Keys, Brandi Carlile – A Beautiful Noise
Olivia Rodrigo – Drivers License
H.E.R. – Fight for You
Justin Bieber, Daniel Cesar, Giveon – Peaches
Brandi Carlile – Right on Time

Annual clarification: Record of the Year is for the overall recording, and goes to the artist(s) and producers. Song of the Year is for the song itself, and goes to the songwriters.

I guess the Academy decided to expand to ten nominees in the major categories this year. I'm going to predict a big night for Olivia Rodrigo (who's obviously also a shoo-in for Best New Artist); I don't see Billie sweeping again this year, and TS just won Album of the Year last year (and doesn't have a Record or Song nominated.

Yes, I'm surprised that Donda got an Album nomination, too. Watch for the media to emphasize "TAYLOR VS. KANYE SHOWDOWN!!!!!", even though neither will win.
discord
Let's Get It On

Re: 2021 Grammy Nominations

Post by discord »

Dear god
charliepanayi
Different Class

Post by charliepanayi »

Donda nominated for Album of the Year wtf I love the Grammys now

(also waiting for Twitter to blow up when they see Louis CK has a nomination)
FrankLotion
Movin' On Up

Post by FrankLotion »

As usual there are quite a lot of baffling nominations when you check out the whole list, especially the inclusion of yet another mediocre Tony Bennett album…and why are Glass Animals nominated in Best New Artist?? I feel like I’ve been hearing their stuff on Pop radio since 2015.

I was happy to see Deftones get a few nods though.

As is often the case the Best Alternative Music section is largely filled with some great stuff, though even though I liked the album it’s hard for me to really see that Halsey album as being very “alternative.”
Last edited by FrankLotion on Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
FrankLotion
Movin' On Up

Post by FrankLotion »

Also wtf I didn’t even see the Louis CK nomination, I feel like they’re just trying to court controversy at this point
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

FrankLotion wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:01 am As usual there are quite a lot of baffling nominations when you check out the whole list, especially the inclusion of yet another mediocre Tony Bennett album
Wow, I didn't even notice it at first. Well, you know why that's there - the man is 95 and has dementia, and this will be his last release. I'm sure it's a decent album, but I'm equally sure most of the voters who nominated it didn't need to hear a single note. Wondering whether Bennett will actually be at the ceremony.
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

The only songs nominated for Record of the Year that I actually like are Olivia and Billie. (To be fair, I haven't heard ABBA's song yet.) I don't care for the others, but I can at least get why others would like them. Except for "Peaches." That one is absolutely stupefying to me...
FrankLotion
Movin' On Up

Post by FrankLotion »

Harold wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:17 am
FrankLotion wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:01 am As usual there are quite a lot of baffling nominations when you check out the whole list, especially the inclusion of yet another mediocre Tony Bennett album
Wow, I didn't even notice it at first. Well, you know why that's there - the man is 95 and has dementia, and this will be his last release. I'm sure it's a decent album, but I'm equally sure most of the voters who nominated it didn't need to hear a single note. Wondering whether Bennett will actually be at the ceremony.
I did listen to it but I didn’t know he had dementia, now I feel bad. I wasn’t a big fan of the album but if he wins I guess it would be for a good reason.
Donchano
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Donchano »

evermore AOTY nom is unexpected considering Grammy tend to ignore the follow up album. Is Taylor going to pull Stevie Wonder and Frank Sinatra by winning the top prize back to back? Tony wins AOTY will be so underwhelming considering it's a cover album, and it's more likely due to narrative of his health status instead of music itself. The element of sympathy doesn't feel right.
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

FrankLotion wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:03 am
I did listen to it but I didn’t know he had dementia, now I feel bad. I wasn’t a big fan of the album but if he wins I guess it would be for a good reason.
Why? Awards shouldn't be based on sympathy. There are a few cases in which the artist getting close to death legitimately enhances the work of art, like Blackstar or Johnny Cash's later work, but this doesn't seem like the case with this album (I haven't heard it).
Edre Depeche Head
Movin' On Up

Post by Edre Depeche Head »

I am very glad that Donda and Planet Her are up for album of the year. Even though I think Doja Cat's album is more consistent, Donda is a excellent experience. Just a little ironic because neither albums were praised by critics, especially Donda.
Edre the Depeche Head
Edre Depeche Head
Movin' On Up

Post by Edre Depeche Head »

Harold wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:02 pm The Grammy nominations are out, and here are the nominees in the relevant major categories:

Album of the Year
Doja Cat – Planet Her (Deluxe)
Kanye West – Donda

Record of the Year
The only ones I am actually rooting for
Edre the Depeche Head
FrankLotion
Movin' On Up

Post by FrankLotion »

Jackson wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:19 pm
FrankLotion wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:03 am

Why? Awards shouldn't be based on sympathy. There are a few cases in which the artist getting close to death legitimately enhances the work of art, like Blackstar or Johnny Cash's later work, but this doesn't seem like the case with this album (I haven't heard it).
I should clarify that I don’t think awards should be chosen that way. I guess on the spectrum of ridiculous reasons to give out awards, honoring someone posthumously (or when they’re near the end like Tony Bennett) doesn’t offend me as much.

I’d say what irks me more is when they basically just award whoever they can get to perform during the ceremony, which I’m sure is going to be the Grammy way for quite some time.

Return to “EOY 2021”