AMF 2021 Oscar Ballot

Post Reply
User avatar
Holden
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 2399
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:06 pm

AMF 2021 Oscar Ballot

Post by Holden »

Hi! I set up a Google Form for an Oscar Ballot! Fill out every question! I'll turn off submissions at 7:00 pm CST (the start of the ceremony). Have fun!

The Ballot
"The better a singer's voice, the harder it is to believe what they're saying."
User avatar
Holden
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 2399
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:06 pm

Re: AMF 2021 Oscar Ballot

Post by Holden »

Ten days before the oscars!
"The better a singer's voice, the harder it is to believe what they're saying."
User avatar
Holden
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 2399
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:06 pm

Re: AMF 2021 Oscar Ballot

Post by Holden »

Five days remain before the oscars!
"The better a singer's voice, the harder it is to believe what they're saying."
Nassim
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 2159
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:35 pm
Location: Lille (France)

Re: AMF 2021 Oscar Ballot

Post by Nassim »

8 votes so far and best animated feature is the only one where we all agree !
On the other hand, the 2 actresses categories seem very unpredictable.
letmeintomyzone
Let's Get It On
Posts: 276
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:43 pm

Re: AMF 2021 Oscar Ballot

Post by letmeintomyzone »

My predictions:

Picture - Nomadland (The Trial of the Chicago Seven)
Director - Chloe Zhao (Emerald Fennell)
Actor - Chadwick Boseman (Anthony Hopkins)
Actress - Carey Mulligan (Frances McDormand)
Supporting Actor - Daniel Kaluuya (Sasha Baron Cohen)
Supporting Actress - Youn Yuh-jung (Maria Bakalova)
Original Screenplay - Promising Young Woman (The Trial of the Chicago Seven)
Adapted Screenplay - Nomadland (The Father)
Animated Feature - Soul (Wolfwalkers)
Documentary Feature - My Octopus Teacher (Collective)
International Feature Film - Another Round (Quo Vadis, Aida?)
Animated Short - If Anything Happens I Love You (Opera)
Live Action Short - Two Distant Strangers (The Letter Room)
Documentary Short - A Concerto is a Conversation (Collette)
Original Score - Soul (Minari)
Original Song - "Speak Now" ("Fight for You")
Sound - Sound of Metal (Greyhound)
Production Design - Mank (The Father)
Cinematography - Nomadland (Mank)
Makeup and Hairstyling - Ma Rainey's Black Bottom (Pinnochio)
Costume Design - Ma Rainey's Black Bottom (Emma.)
Editing - The Trial of the Chicago Seven (Sound of Metal)
Visual Effects - Tenet (Mulan)
Last edited by letmeintomyzone on Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
FrankLotion
Unquestionable Presence
Posts: 555
Joined: Sat May 05, 2018 9:15 pm

Re: AMF 2021 Oscar Ballot

Post by FrankLotion »

letmeintomyzone wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:34 pm My predictions:

Picture - Nomadland (The Trial of the Chicago Seven)
Director - Chloe Zhao (Emerald Fennell)
Actor - Chadwick Boseman (Anthony Hopkins)
Actress - Carey Mulligan (Frances McDormand)
Supporting Actor - Daniel Kaluuya (Sasha Baron Cohen)
Supporting Actress - Youn Yuh-jung (Maria Bakalova)
Original Screenplay - Promising Young Woman (The Trial of the Chicago Seven)
Adapted Screenplay - Nomadland (The Father)
Animated Feature - Soul (Wolfwakers)
Documentary Feature - My Octopus Teacher (Collective)
International Feature Film - Another Round (Quo Vadis, Aida?)
Animated Short - If Anything Happens I Love You (Opera)
Live Action Short - Two Distant Strangers (The Letter Room)
Documentary Short - A Concerto is a Conversation (Collette)
Original Score - Soul (Minari)
Original Song - "Speak Now" ("Fight for You")
Sound - Sound of Metal (Greyhound)
Production Design - Mank (The Father)
Cinematography - Nomadland (Mank)
Makeup and Hairstyling - Ma Rainey's Black Bottom (Pinnochio)
Costume Design - Ma Rainey's Black Bottom (Emma.)
Editing - The Trial of the Chicago Seven (Sound of Metal)
Visual Effects - Tenet (Mulan)
I think this is going to be pretty accurate! Are the ones in parentheses your second place predictions or the movies you personally want to win?
User avatar
Holden
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 2399
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:06 pm

Re: AMF 2021 Oscar Ballot

Post by Holden »

Any last minute responses are welcome until the start of the ceremony!
"The better a singer's voice, the harder it is to believe what they're saying."
letmeintomyzone
Let's Get It On
Posts: 276
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:43 pm

Re: AMF 2021 Oscar Ballot

Post by letmeintomyzone »

FrankLotion wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:26 am
letmeintomyzone wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:34 pm My predictions:

Picture - Nomadland (The Trial of the Chicago Seven)
Director - Chloe Zhao (Emerald Fennell)
Actor - Chadwick Boseman (Anthony Hopkins)
Actress - Carey Mulligan (Frances McDormand)
Supporting Actor - Daniel Kaluuya (Sasha Baron Cohen)
Supporting Actress - Youn Yuh-jung (Maria Bakalova)
Original Screenplay - Promising Young Woman (The Trial of the Chicago Seven)
Adapted Screenplay - Nomadland (The Father)
Animated Feature - Soul (Wolfwakers)
Documentary Feature - My Octopus Teacher (Collective)
International Feature Film - Another Round (Quo Vadis, Aida?)
Animated Short - If Anything Happens I Love You (Opera)
Live Action Short - Two Distant Strangers (The Letter Room)
Documentary Short - A Concerto is a Conversation (Collette)
Original Score - Soul (Minari)
Original Song - "Speak Now" ("Fight for You")
Sound - Sound of Metal (Greyhound)
Production Design - Mank (The Father)
Cinematography - Nomadland (Mank)
Makeup and Hairstyling - Ma Rainey's Black Bottom (Pinnochio)
Costume Design - Ma Rainey's Black Bottom (Emma.)
Editing - The Trial of the Chicago Seven (Sound of Metal)
Visual Effects - Tenet (Mulan)
I think this is going to be pretty accurate! Are the ones in parentheses your second place predictions or the movies you personally want to win?
Second place.
User avatar
Holden
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 2399
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:06 pm

Re: AMF 2021 Oscar Ballot

Post by Holden »

Final results! Good job kendon!

kendon | 18
Schüttelbirne | 17
Acroamor | 16
Nassim | 16
Philip | 13
BleuPanda | 13
Holden | 12
bootsy | 12
Future Critic | 11
letmeintomyzone | 10
whuntva | 10
FrankLotion | 8
"The better a singer's voice, the harder it is to believe what they're saying."
Schüttelbirne
Full of Fire
Posts: 1135
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:50 am

Re: AMF 2021 Oscar Ballot

Post by Schüttelbirne »

This was an absolute mess! Definitely the worst show I've seen since I started watching the Oscars (2013 when Argo won).
They took away the thing I liked the most (the clipshows of the nominees) and replaced it with the stuff I liked the least (long, inspiring speeches; people emphasizing how little they started, which is so American it hurts; the all-around preachiness that went through the roof).

The most important thing: Why the hell didn't they give out Best Picture last? I suspect they wanted to praise Chadwick Boseman by having him be the final recipient of the evening, but when he didn't win and Anthony Hopkins wasn't there too, the entire construct of the evening fell into pieces. I actually thought that they must have known Boseman would win, so this basically prooves that the producers do not know the winners beforehand, which was always the official position, but seeing it prooved like that is rather unfortunate.

McDormand also decided not to give an inspiring speech, so the entire show felt anticlimactic and flat-out weird when it went on after Best Picture.

I understand why they wanted to do this live and in person, but actually pretending like it's a live-recorded movie, so we can take our masks off is maybe stretching the guidelines a bit much. I also get what they tried to do with the cinematography showing off all the nominees, but I don't know how all these behind-the-scenes people look, so I was always confused which one of these people is really nominated now.

Not doing the songs live is also not a good decision.

The decision to talk about how all these people got started with menial tasks was probably to make them relatable, but it felt unnecessary, drew things out and was ultimately pointless because nobody will remember that. Show clips from the movies! That represents a person's achievement more than whether he fell in love with the movies while watching Snow White or whatever.

Questlove as musical director kind of failed his task for me when he didn't play the film score when the movies won.

The best speech of the night was Youn Yuh-Jung's speech which didn't make me cringe like most of the others. And since Glenn Close didn't win let's give her a fabricated piece to show of that she's seen Spike Lee movies. :angry-banghead:

Biggest surprise was probably the Hopkins win, but the further the show went on the more mistakes got into my ballot. Giving McDormand a third one just seemed like something they wouldn't do so soon after the second.

Two Distant Strangers winning is bad because that movie is horrible and atrocious. I'm sure the voters felt incredibly progressive voting for it, but the entire premise is just flat-out wrong-headed and insulting.

But the most shocking moment came when Marlee Matlin presented Best Documentary, Short Subject and said about Hunger Ward it was "as dizzying and as disorienting as war itself". Like, no? Why would you say that? Watching that movie is obviously just as hard as being in Yemen right now.

I don't know why I woke up in the middle of the night for this...
User avatar
Holden
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 2399
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:06 pm

Re: AMF 2021 Oscar Ballot

Post by Holden »

Fun fact, last night after the Oscars it had Chadwick Boseman as the winner on wikipedia. I didn't have the chance to watch the Oscars, so my original tally is wrong. Here are the actual scores:

kendon | 17
Nassim | 17
Schüttelbirne | 16
Acroamor | 15
Philip | 14
BleuPanda | 12
Holden | 11
bootsy | 11
letmeintomyzone | 11
Future Critic | 10
whuntva | 9
FrankLotion | 8
"The better a singer's voice, the harder it is to believe what they're saying."
Harold
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 2215
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:56 pm

Re: AMF 2021 Oscar Ballot

Post by Harold »

(Imaginary) Plot Twist: Joaquin Phoenix actually is The Joker now. When he opened the envelope, Boseman actually was the winner, but Phoenix thought, "Do you know what would really fuck up this moment? Saying someone else won." Then he ate the card.

In all seriousness, though, the producers clearly made that ridiculous decision to give Best Picture before the lead acting awards solely because they - like just about everyone else - assumed that Boseman had won, thus allowing the ceremony to end on an emotional, sentimental (dare we say maudlin?) note. Instead, Best Actor went to Anthony Hopkins, who instead of being at Union Station or even across the pond at the BFI with most of the British nominees was (by his own admission later) home asleep in bed. Apparently even Hopkins assumed Boseman had the Oscar in the bag and figured "Why should I show up to lose? Screw it, I'm 83."

I feel kind of bad for Hopkins, who is supposed to be absolutely extraordinary in The Father (I still need to catch up on a lot of the nominees). Instead of him being celebrated right now for winning his second Oscar and becoming the oldest Best Actor winner ever, all that anyone's talking about is the fact that Boseman lost. And the way they restructured the ceremony makes things even worse.

Kudos for Nomadland, though, and for Zhao and McDormand. Although I'm not 100% sure McDormand deserves to be in that lofty 3-Oscars club; if they had known this was coming, they probably wouldn't have given her the Oscar three years ago for the wildly overrated Three Billboards....
User avatar
Arsalan
Let's Get It On
Posts: 282
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:18 am

Re: AMF 2021 Oscar Ballot

Post by Arsalan »

I thought the show was terrible. They shouldn't have changed the order.

Frances McDormand's performance was simply fantastic and I am glad she won her third academy award. Nomadland was such a fascinating movie.

Anthony Hopkins was absolutely perfect in "The Father". It was one of the best performances of the 21st century. He thoroughly deserved the award. I don't know why people are complaining about his win. Have they watched "The Father"?

I think they could have given The Honorary Award to Boseman, it would have been nice.
Jirin
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 2914
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:12 am

Re: AMF 2021 Oscar Ballot

Post by Jirin »

I haven't seen any of the films in question so can't comment, but is the outrage over Boseman not winning because they think he objectively gave the best performance or did they just want him to get it cause he's dead?
User avatar
bootsy
Full of Fire
Posts: 1252
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:38 pm

Re: AMF 2021 Oscar Ballot

Post by bootsy »

Jirin wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:45 pm I haven't seen any of the films in question so can't comment, but is the outrage over Boseman not winning because they think he objectively gave the best performance or did they just want him to get it cause he's dead?
A combination of both also not many people have seen The Father including myself. I plan on watching it soon.
Harold
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 2215
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:56 pm

Re: AMF 2021 Oscar Ballot

Post by Harold »

Jirin wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:45 pm I haven't seen any of the films in question so can't comment, but is the outrage over Boseman not winning because they think he objectively gave the best performance or did they just want him to get it cause he's dead?
As I noted above, the "outrage" (if you want to call it that) was magnified by the Oscar producers' spectacularly wrongheaded decision to switch the order of the final awards given. They decided to give Best Picture before the lead acting awards because they CLEARLY thought Boseman was a shoo-in (and, in fairness, there was good reason to think so - he'd won the Golden Globe and Screen Actors Guild awards), and a sure-to-be-emotional acceptance speech by his widow would provide a memorable finale for the show. And then it didn't happen.

I've seen Ma Rainey's Black Bottom, and Boseman does deliver an exceptional performance - by far the best of his career. One of the tragedies of his death is that this performance proves he was really just starting to come into his own as an actor, and we'll never get to see where he might have gone next. So, yes, he would have made a worthy winner. But, yes, a lot of people wanted him to win - and assumed he would - mostly because he's dead. Which is unfair both to him and to the other nominees.

Boseman's brother issued a statement on Monday saying that the family does not feel, in any way, that he was "snubbed" for the Oscar. And in a perfect world, that would be the end of it, and Anthony Hopkins' historic victory would be celebrated instead (again, I have not seen The Father, but by all accounts he's utterly brilliant and it's possibly the best performance of his storied career). But this is far from a perfect world, and the narrative that "Chadwick Boseman was robbed" will have traction for a long time to come.
User avatar
bootsy
Full of Fire
Posts: 1252
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:38 pm

Re: AMF 2021 Oscar Ballot

Post by bootsy »

Harold wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:25 am
Jirin wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:45 pm I haven't seen any of the films in question so can't comment, but is the outrage over Boseman not winning because they think he objectively gave the best performance or did they just want him to get it cause he's dead?
As I noted above, the "outrage" (if you want to call it that) was magnified by the Oscar producers' spectacularly wrongheaded decision to switch the order of the final awards given. They decided to give Best Picture before the lead acting awards because they CLEARLY thought Boseman was a shoo-in (and, in fairness, there was good reason to think so - he'd won the Golden Globe and Screen Actors Guild awards), and a sure-to-be-emotional acceptance speech by his widow would provide a memorable finale for the show. And then it didn't happen.

I've seen Ma Rainey's Black Bottom, and Boseman does deliver an exceptional performance - by far the best of his career. One of the tragedies of his death is that this performance proves he was really just starting to come into his own as an actor, and we'll never get to see where he might have gone next. So, yes, he would have made a worthy winner. But, yes, a lot of people wanted him to win - and assumed he would - mostly because he's dead. Which is unfair both to him and to the other nominees.

Boseman's brother issued a statement on Monday saying that the family does not feel, in any way, that he was "snubbed" for the Oscar. And in a perfect world, that would be the end of it, and Anthony Hopkins' historic victory would be celebrated instead (again, I have not seen The Father, but by all accounts he's utterly brilliant and it's possibly the best performance of his storied career). But this is far from a perfect world, and the narrative that "Chadwick Boseman was robbed" will have traction for a long time to come.
I think Chadwick will eventually get and honorary Oscar which in no way makes up for losing but it's something to remember him by. I also feel like like the 'outrage' and the setting up Best Actor as the last announced were due to the Academy awarding Heath Ledger and Peter Finch posthumously in the past. That led to the Academy not wanting to miss out on the big emotional moment that they had won Ledger won it and also led to people being 'outraged' that those two were awarded and Boseman wasn't. And to be honest I don't even think that many people are outraged by this.
Post Reply