Pig (2021), directed by Michael Sarnoski

prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Pig (2021), directed by Michael Sarnoski

Post by prosecutorgodot »

This movie just came out, and it might be my favorite live-action movie ever.

I decided to watch this film after seeing multiple glowing reviews from critics I admire, and... wow I am blown away.

This film stars Nicolas Cage ...and I know what you're thinking, but this isn't goofy Nicolas Cage, this isn't crazy Wicker Man Nicolas Cage, this isn't violent psychopath Nicolas Cage. In fact, quite the opposite. The son from Hereditary (2018) is also in this movie playing the go-between ferrying the truffles to the restauranteurs.

This film is a sad drama about a taciturn hermit/recluse living in the woods who loses his truffle pig, and goes on a quest to find the pig. A truffle pig is a pig that can dig up truffles (special mushrooms), which are delicacies in Western cuisines.

Based on that, you can deduce this movie certainly contains food elements, something in which I am personally very interested. I have always loved Gordon Ramsey's shows like Hell's Kitchen and MasterChef, as well as the anime Shokugeki no Souma, a show about teen gourmet specialty chefs. What I am trying to say is, i think liking food a lot would certainly increase enjoyment of "Pig," although I would say certainly not necessary to appreciating it.

I want to mention one scene in particular, where Cage's character talks to a chef in a restaurant, and what happens in this scene i have never witnessed in a motion picture. I am completely astounded by the amazing acting, the pacing and the way actors deliver their lines, it is a masterwork of a scene, when you know this scene could have fallen in any number of traps and gone a completely different way. The crazy thing is, (I didn't really look into this) I think this is the director's first official work!

Maaaaybe a possible flaw (as a fellow audiophile) is maybe the score and soundtrack could have been more prominent, but I say maybe because it might have diluted the amazing story and characters.

As others have mentioned, I think after the nightmare of the past year and a half, this is like a soothing cool beverage after a hot day. An absolute must-watch for cinephiles.

I would love to hear what others' thoughts are! Any and all spoilers are allowed in the comments. I didn't spoil anything here because I personally don't like to spoil things for people who haven't seen it.

If anyone wants me to spoil the themes, I can do that. I want as many people to see this movie as possible.

Return to “Films, Movies, Motion Pictures...”