Mega Critic Chart 2023

Otisredding
Keep On Movin'

Mega Critic Chart 2023

Post by Otisredding »

Good afternoon, friends Acclaimers

After 12 years, the time has come to hand over to the making of Mega Critic Chart, an idea that Stephan began to develop.

I apologize for not announcing in advance (tomorrow would be the day of the publication of the first MCCh of 2023). What has happened to me is that until the last moment I was determined to continue for another year but, for work reasons, now I see that it is impossible for me.

I'm sure many of you can do the job much better than me. Does anyone dare to do it? Possibly Rob, who has been in charge of selecting the highlights in recent years?

I will be happy to communicate the links of the websites or any other information that the new director needs.

Cordially
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Re: Mega Critic Chart 2023

Post by Rob »

Sad to hear this, Otisredding, but understandable. I kind of wondered about this when we didn't get the last December update.
Otisredding wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:13 pm I'm sure many of you can do the job much better than me. Does anyone dare to do it? Possibly Rob, who has been in charge of selecting the highlights in recent years?
Thanks for thinking of me. I am very tempted, but also a little weary. I myself am drowning in work and although a focused side project like this could be a nice diversion, I am uncertain if I could always deliver. I take it is a lot of work? Perhaps I could do it as a monthly update, instead of every 15 days?

That said, if anyone jumps to the position I would definitely not stop you. I'm still in it for the highlight playlist, though.
NickHay69
Superunknown

Post by NickHay69 »

I'm also very sorry to hear this, OtisR. I do hope you can find someone to carry on your great work.

Will you be posting the final December update for 2022 before stepping down?
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

I'm curious - is this something that could be a collaborative effort? Like, would we be able to make a Google sheet where people could fill in the relevant scores as reviews come in? I don't know what this looks like behind the scenes, but if no one wants to take on the entire process, maybe making it a group project could be good.
TheLastEnemy
Movin' On Up

Post by TheLastEnemy »

I'm more than happy to help with this, particularly at the moment while I am out of work. I wonder whether if I did the compiling of scores someone else would be happy to post the results?

In the meantime, thank you so much for all the hard work over the years. It really is appreciated.
Last edited by TheLastEnemy on Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Presenter of 'The New Music Show' on www.welcomberadio.org.uk, Thursdays 6-8pm (UK time)
Listen later: https://www.mixcloud.com/chris-last/
Solitair
Strange Fruit

Post by Solitair »

I'm also out of work and would love to help, but I don't know the algorithm Otis used to make his charts. I could probably learn it pretty quickly, though.

Edit: A quick way to get all of the scores from all of Otis's sources would be nice, too.
TheLastEnemy wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:21 am I'm more than happy to help with this, particularly at the moment while I am out of work. I wonder whether if I did the compiling of scores someone else would be happy to post the results?
Or I could just post the results, like you said.
STEFAN
Superunknown

Post by STEFAN »

Dear Otisredding

I am very sorry to hear, that you decided to stop the Mega Critic Chart ... I remember, how time consuming it was, when I did it at the beginning ... I can fully understand you, but hope that someone somewhere will follow in our footsteps ... Thank you so much for the 12 years ... All the BEST
RealDanChrist
Debut

Post by RealDanChrist »

Thank you so much for the 12 years of MCCh Otisredding - it's truly enriched my life on a biweekly basis, if not daily when I'd listen to the albums you posted! Hope your break from such an involved project will allow you to relax a little!! 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙂
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

Hey, Otis, thank you very much for your hard (and impeccable) work for so many years! Mega Critic has been an awesome feature on the forum, one of its more important assets. We'll miss the chart but hopefully we will count with your participation on other threads and games of the forum. Best wishes, man!!

¡Hola, Otis, muchísimas por tu trabajo duro (e impecable) durante tantos años! El Mega Critic Chart ha sido una impresionante parte del foro, uno de sus más importantes activos. Echaremos de menos el chart pero espero que sigamos contando con tu participación en otros hilos y juegos del foro. ¡¡¡Un abrazo fuerte, tío!!!
Poydflink
Debut

Post by Poydflink »

Hi Otisredding , you were the only reason I came to this site. Thank you so much for your love of music and public service. It was very very appreciated. I wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors. I'm sure that there's lots of people who feel the same as me. Thank you once again!
Dealy_Stan
Start Me Up

Post by Dealy_Stan »

Dear OtisRedding,

A hearty congratulations and much gratitude for maintaining Mega Critic Chart over the years. You've created a massive compendium of music that has been my entry point for most of my favourite albums over the last decade. For all that time, MCCh was my #1 go-to for new music recommendations, beating Metacritic and Fantano. Rest well, you deserve it.

Of course, I would love the chart to continue (and it looks like I'm not alone). I like BleuPanda's suggestion of it being a collaborative effort, and since also I work I'm happy to put up my hand to contribute to the new iteration of MCCh (or whatever it's called), but I won't be able to take on the responsibility wholesale. Since we now live in the era of Big Data, would some sort of open source algorithm be the best way to implement it, to avoid clashes over how it should be done? I'm imagining a Github repository where people can clone it to their local machine and "roll their own" charts.

It looks like there are three main tasks for maintaining MCCh into the future:
- Collecting and maintaining review sources. I have no idea whether these require a subscription or not. There is scope for automation of this using a web scraper but this is beyond my pay grade.
- Calculating the chart. I am in favour of some sort of automation for this process. I am a statistician and write R code every day, so am happy to contribute here. However, OtisRedding may have to reveal the details of his algorithm if we want to maintain our fealty to the "classic MCCh" :music-rockon: . Needs commitment of 22 times per year.
- Posting the chart. This will include collecting album covers, selecting highlights and creating Spotify playlists. Again, 22 times per year.

Just spitballing here, but I'm happy to contribute if others are.
catsafterme
The Only Way Is Up

Post by catsafterme »

While the album covers and album highlights were certainly a nice touch, it would be less time consuming I'm sure to just simply list the albums... at least at first. That might be a good way to ease into the task.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

catsafterme wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:27 pm While the album covers and album highlights were certainly a nice touch, it would be less time consuming I'm sure to just simply list the albums... at least at first. That might be a good way to ease into the task.
I've taken over on the highlights for a couple of years now and still want to continue on it. Same with the playlist. The images are easy to gather, especially since there usually aren't many new ones per update. We don't start with a 100 entries, but with 10 and add 5 per update. The time consuming part is compiling all the ratings from the many sources.
TheLastEnemy
Movin' On Up

Post by TheLastEnemy »

I'm happy to start the process as soon as possible, and Solitair has said they are happy to help with the rollout as I am much more confident with the data side of it.
Presenter of 'The New Music Show' on www.welcomberadio.org.uk, Thursdays 6-8pm (UK time)
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

TheLastEnemy wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:30 pm I'm happy to start the process as soon as possible, and Solitair has said they are happy to help with the rollout as I am much more confident with the data side of it.
Mind if I keep doing the highlights plus playlist?
Solitair
Strange Fruit

Post by Solitair »

Rob wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:24 am
TheLastEnemy wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:30 pm I'm happy to start the process as soon as possible, and Solitair has said they are happy to help with the rollout as I am much more confident with the data side of it.
Go ahead. I'll incorporate that info in the main posts when I can.
TheLastEnemy
Movin' On Up

Post by TheLastEnemy »

Rob wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:24 am
Very happy for you to keep doing that, thank you.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Thanks Otisredding for all your hard work on this chart over the years!!! It warms my heart to see longtime followers, who have not posted in this forum before, opening up in this topic to give you the appreciation you really deserve!

:romance-grouphug:
:happy-wavemulticolor:
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
Solitair
Strange Fruit

Post by Solitair »

Yeah, I know I haven't posted on the forums very much, but I've been following the chart since 2013. It's been my primary source of new music.
sickboy83
Are You Experienced?

Post by sickboy83 »

Wow, that is some sad news.
Thanks for all the work you've done over the years Otisredding (and Stefan too), the Mega critic chart is a fantastic source of new music.
I survived. I speak, I breathe,
I'm incomplete
I'm alive - hooray!
You're wrong again
'Cause I feel no love
androve
The Only Way Is Up

Post by androve »

Thank you Otis, for your service all these years (and to Stefan before you).
discord
Let's Get It On

Post by discord »

Thanks you for all your years of service, Otis. It has been an enjoyable read for me these last few years.
Solitair
Strange Fruit

Post by Solitair »

I haven't heard back from TheLastEnemy in a while, so I'm taking a crack at the data myself. It's rough going so far. I'm not sure how to get scores from some of the sources Otisredding listed, and I don't know how they weighted their average scores.

Assuming we can't make the 15 Feb deadline, this page of Album of the Year might be a workable substitute in the meantime. They use different sources over there, probably neglecting Europe and Australia, and I don't think they weigh their averages, but the general idea is much the same.

Edit: Figured out the weighting. I'm going to make two test lists before the 15th: one which follows Otisredding's methodology to the best of my ability, and one which relies on AotY's gathered scores. The latter will be much easier on me, but I can imagine some regulars being miffed with the different sources and relative lack of effort on my part.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Solitair wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:00 am I haven't heard back from TheLastEnemy in a while, so I'm taking a crack at the data myself. It's rough going so far. I'm not sure how to get scores from some of the sources Otisredding listed, and I don't know how they weighted their average scores.
Have you asked OtisRedding about his method?
dobrynin
Debut

Post by dobrynin »

Also chiming in as a long-time lurker to say that I've deeply appreciated the MccH posts over the years. I am also swamped w/ work but am experienced in web dev + data analytics (of a sort), so offering my hands to the extent that I can help!
Solitair
Strange Fruit

Post by Solitair »

Rob wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 6:35 pm
Solitair wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:00 am I haven't heard back from TheLastEnemy in a while, so I'm taking a crack at the data myself. It's rough going so far. I'm not sure how to get scores from some of the sources Otisredding listed, and I don't know how they weighted their average scores.
Have you asked OtisRedding about his method?
I PM'd them a while back, but they've yet to respond.

I've got everything mostly figured out now, though. It looks like Consequence of Sound and The Music have stopped attaching scores to their album reviews, but otherwise I've been able to include all of Otis's sources in my analysis. Here's my database if anyone wants to double-check my work.

The February 14th update of this year should be up in no more than one day.
Solitair
Strange Fruit

Post by Solitair »

The best albums of 2023
previous years: MCCh 2022 - MCCh 2021 - MCCh 2020 - MCCh 2019 - MCCh 2018 -
MCCh 2017 - MCCh 2016 - MCCh 2015 - MCCh 2014 - MCCh 2013 -
MCCh 2012 - MCCh 2011 - MCCh 2010 - MCCh 2009 - MCCh 2008

MCCh 2022: February 14

Fifteen new albums in the top 15!

Next: February 28
Last edited by Solitair on Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

I think the formula that has been used is

Average score + (Number of ratings - 21)/3
using a minimum of 7(?) ratings to be on the list.

Over the years, I have looked at correlations between MegaCritic and the EOY lists. To maximize that correlation the number of ratings should have a greater influence (perhaps divide with 1 or 2 instead of 3 in the formula), but on the other hand the MegaChart would then be more about ”popularity” which I guess would be less useful to a lot of people.
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
Gillingham
Into the Groove

Post by Gillingham »

Thanks a lot for doing this all these years Otisredding! I used it the last couple of years as one of my sources for discovering new music. And it was always fun to see what would come up every update.
Solitair
Strange Fruit

Post by Solitair »

February 28
Three new albums in the Top 20!

Next: March 15
VacantJoy
Leader of the Pack

Post by VacantJoy »

thank you Otisredding
DONATIONS TOWARDS ME -> https://revolut.me/anastagf0s
Solitair
Strange Fruit

Post by Solitair »

March 15
Three new albums and two promoted albums in the Top 25!

Next: March 31
Solitair
Strange Fruit

Post by Solitair »

March 31
Nine new albums in the Top 30, and a new number one!

Next: April 15
Last edited by Solitair on Sat Apr 15, 2023 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Solitair
Strange Fruit

Post by Solitair »

April 15
Six new albums and one promoted album in the Top 35!

Next: April 30
Solitair
Strange Fruit

Post by Solitair »

April 30
Five new albums and one promoted album in the Top 40!

Next: May 15
Solitair
Strange Fruit

Post by Solitair »

May 15
One new album and four promoted albums in the Top 45!

Next: May 31
Solitair
Strange Fruit

Post by Solitair »

May 31
Four new albums and one promoted album in the Top 50!

Next: June 15
Solitair
Strange Fruit

Post by Solitair »

June 15
Eight new albums in the Top 55!

Next: June 30
Solitair
Strange Fruit

Post by Solitair »

June 30
Five new albums in the Top 60!

Next: July 15
Last edited by Solitair on Sat Jul 15, 2023 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ursus Stultus
The Only Way Is Up

Post by Ursus Stultus »

Hi Solitair, for some strange reason, I can't open the new update of June 30 Mega Critic Chart. Is there anything different that would cause that? Thank you! Ursus
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

Ursus Stultus wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 4:01 am Hi Solitair, for some strange reason, I can't open the new update of June 30 Mega Critic Chart. Is there anything different that would cause that? Thank you! Ursus
Fixed
Ursus Stultus
The Only Way Is Up

Post by Ursus Stultus »

Thank you, Honorio! Ursus
Solitair
Strange Fruit

Post by Solitair »

July 15
Five new albums in the Top 65!

Next: July 31
Last edited by Solitair on Wed Aug 02, 2023 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Solitair
Strange Fruit

Post by Solitair »

July 31
Four new albums and one returning album in the Top 70!

Next: August 15
Solitair
Strange Fruit

Post by Solitair »

August 15
Three new albums and three returning albums in the Top 75!

Next: August 31
Solitair
Strange Fruit

Post by Solitair »

September 15

Seven new albums in the top 85!

Next: September 30

(Here's the August 30 update in case you missed it.)
Solitair
Strange Fruit

Post by Solitair »

September 30

Six new albums in the top 90!

Next: October 15
Solitair
Strange Fruit

Post by Solitair »

October 15