George Michael
Willie Nelson
Rage Against the Machine
Soundgarden
The Spinners
A Tribe Called Quest
The White Stripes
Warren Zevon

That's a pretty cool list, nothing I would be shocked to see included (well, maybe The Spinners but we're still far from "Paul Butterfield Band" level)
It could even turn out to be one, if not the coolest class in a long long time.

My picks (favorite, not prediction)
Kate Bush
Joy Division/New Order
RATM
ATCQ
The White Stripes

Never ever though I would leave Missy Elliott out of a Hall of Fame ballot, that's how stacked it is !
I'd be also happy to see Iron Maiden in, it's crazy they are not in the Hall yet.
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Re: Rock & Roll Hall of Fame 2023 Nominees

Post by Moonbeam »

That's indeed a great list of candidates!

My favorites would be:

1. Joy Division/New Order
2. Kate Bush
3. Missy Elliott
4. George Michael
5. Cyndi Lauper
6. Iron Maiden

I think my favorite class is 2019. The Cure, Janet Jackson, and Roxy Music are all in my top 15 (with The Cure and Janet in my top 5), so that's pretty hard to beat. The years Prince and Eurythmics were inducted didn't have any other big favorites, and there aren't too many other big favorites of mine who haven't yet been indcuted.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

My first ballot was Warren Zevon, Joy Division + New Order, Missy Elliott, Kate Bush, and A Tribe Called Quest. But it’ll be hard to argue with any of the choices they wind up making with options like these!
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

It's a good list indeed.
When I saw it posted here I thought: I bet that the typical Hall of Fame voter will put Cyndi Lauper at one, in the same way they carried earlier entrants like Pat Benatar. Just checked the current leaderboard and indeed Lauper is leading. It's really curious how this audience favors artists who had a few hits in a relative short amount of time, without a clear lingering influence that can be traced, but here we go. I like Lauper well enough, but she is easily the least exciting option here (well, I despise George Michael's music, but I can't deny the impact).

I guess the public rediscovery of Running Up That Hill last year could make a Hall entry of Kate Bush happen.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

My picks (who I’d induct, not who I think will be inducted)

Kate Bush
Joy Division/New Order
Rage Against the Machine
A Tribe Called Quest
The White Stripes

It’s a little dumb to combine Joy Division and New Order, but if it gets both these bands in (who should’ve gotten in over a decade ago), then it’s alright.
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Post by Live in Phoenix »

They seem to have quite a backlog.
Willie will probably get in as a way to honor him while he's still alive (he'll be 90 soon), and because, like Dolly, he's cooler than a fair amount of rock acts, despite the issue of his credentials.
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Post by whuntva »

Not one, but three of these artists are in our AM Top 100 (four if you count Joy Division and New Order separate).

This class will be a bloodbath.
" Ah, yes! Our meager restitution"
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

Kate Bush should be automatic; she seemed on the cusp the last few years and now she has a runaway hit single to put her over the top. It's a good list overall. I hope Iron Maiden and Soundgarden make it, though it's crazy that neither is already in. JD/New Order together is weird and both should have obviously been inducted, but the UK bias has been a thing for years. Maybe Oasis and Blur will be nominated in 2052.

I'll chime in with my annual complain that OutKast somehow isn't even nominated, but if the Tribe get in it'll make up for that.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Jackson wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:52 am Kate Bush should be automatic; she seemed on the cusp the last few years and now she has a runaway hit single to put her over the top. It's a good list overall. I hope Iron Maiden and Soundgarden make it, though it's crazy that neither is already in. JD/New Order together is weird and both should have obviously been inducted, but the UK bias has been a thing for years. Maybe Oasis and Blur will be nominated in 2052.

I'll chime in with my annual complain that OutKast somehow isn't even nominated, but if the Tribe get in it'll make up for that.
I feel like the anti-UK (and, by extension, Ireland) bias is wearing down the last few years. Depeche Mode, The Cure, Duran Duran, T. Rex, Radiohead...sure, some of those might be more obvious than others, but I remember being very happy that The Cure got in when I thought '80s British alt-rock never had a chance. (They still haven't inducted The Smiths, and haven't even nominated them since 2016, but I'm starting to fear Morrissey's bullheadedness has poisoned the well too much for them to be considered again in the future. They SHOULD be, but if resentment towards Morrissey is the only reason they haven't been inducted yet...fair).
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
Pepperami
Strange Fruit

Post by Pepperami »

I pick Cyndi Lauper. Incredible voice. xx 👏 👏
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Post by Live in Phoenix »

Inductions announced

Performer Category
Kate Bush
Sheryl Crow
Missy Elliott
George Michael
Willie Nelson
Rage Against the Machine
The Spinners

Musical Influence Award
DJ Kool Herc
Link Wray

Musical Excellence Award
Chaka Khan
Al Kooper
Bernie Taupin

Ahmet Ertegun Award
Don Cornelius

https://www.rockhall.com/rock-roll-hall ... -inductees
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Post by prosecutorgodot »

Given the year Kate Bush has had, she's gotta get in this time right?

Edit: Ah, Rob has informed me - I'm out of the loop.
Last edited by prosecutorgodot on Wed May 03, 2023 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

prosecutorgodot wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 5:11 pm Given the year Kate Bush has had, she's gotta get in this time right?
Well, that's literally what the post above you confirms: she is in!

I haven't checked the votes since the first week, but back then Cyndi Lauper was the clear audience favorite. Did that change or is this a rare case were the Hall decided not to follow the public consensus?
JSG
Strange Fruit

Post by JSG »

Rob wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 6:07 pm
prosecutorgodot wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 5:11 pm Given the year Kate Bush has had, she's gotta get in this time right?
Well, that's literally what the post above you confirms: she is in!

I haven't checked the votes since the first week, but back then Cyndi Lauper was the clear audience favorite. Did that change or is this a rare case were the Hall decided not to follow the public consensus?
At some point George Michael overtook her and ran with it. None of the other top 5 made it (Cyndi Lauper, Warren Zevon, JD/NO, Soundgarden). I was surprised Sheryl Crow got in over Lauper, but I guess they wanted at least one more rocker.
TheLastEnemy
Movin' On Up

Post by TheLastEnemy »

If I never heard anything by The Spinners or Sheryl Crow again, I don't suppose I would notice... Really pleased about Kate Bush, Missy Elliot, Rage, Nelson, and George Michael I get, but the other two? Not so much.
Presenter of 'The New Music Show' on www.welcomberadio.org.uk, Thursdays 6-8pm (UK time)
Listen later: https://www.mixcloud.com/chris-last/
JSG
Strange Fruit

Post by JSG »

TheLastEnemy wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 9:13 pm If I never heard anything by The Spinners or Sheryl Crow again, I don't suppose I would notice... Really pleased about Kate Bush, Missy Elliot, Rage, Nelson, and George Michael I get, but the other two? Not so much.
Sheryl Crow is a first-ballot inductee, which I find hard to believe. Don’t get me wrong, I was a big fan of her music when it came out in the mid 90s (I’m old), but I believe there are other female artists of that time (and earlier) who surpass her in originality. I’m happy for her, but I hope she remembers the women rockers who are still awaiting recognition from the Hall.
Rocky Raccoon
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Rocky Raccoon »

Looking at who got in and who didn't on the ballot, I think overall I prefer the group of acts that didn't make it.
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Post by whuntva »

Kate Bush is the only Act I hands down agree with.

Shame they had to backdoor Chaka Khan after coming close so many times.
" Ah, yes! Our meager restitution"
ManPerson
Let's Get It On

Post by ManPerson »

I have no problem with Missy, Michael, Bush and The Spinners getting in.

With Tom Morello on the Nomcom Rage's induction is questionable though in terms of importance it's certainly a reasonable choice.

Willie is not a rock artist but they have a precedent of including country artists previously and I'm sure he's had an influence on quite a few rock artists, and was at least somewhat tied to the singer-songwriter movement so I guess I don't have too much of a problem with it.

Sheryl Crow is the only inductee among the performers that I'd definitely say was an incorrect choice.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”