Music league

hectorthebat
Unquestionable Presence

Re: Music league

Post by hectorthebat »

FrankLotion wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 6:53 pm I can’t say I’m too fussed about whether people want to nominate super acclaimed songs or not, when I nominate a song I have most fun deciding what songs might be most fun or unexpected for the category that week but having some occasional heavy hitters in the mix doesn’t detract from the fun for me.

I’ll probably continue to devote my points to other songs because those will perk my interest more but if you want to nominate Purple Rain for the “Movie Soundtrack” week I’m fine with it.
This. Nominate what you like, vote for what you like, just have fun.
digitiser
Strange Fruit

Post by digitiser »

Bwaaah fasbjd thanks for the Frog song shoutout.

I am totally with you guys on oversharing popular stuff. Why ask us to listen to something we've heard a thousand times? In some leagues this is the way to winning I suppose but I am well past needing to compete for Internet points.
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

I think I have been fairly transparent that I wouldn't vote for song from AM (forum poll and/or website) top 1000 (not that I check the actual ranking). But yeah, vote for what you like, nominate what you like, but at least you know now that picking a very well known song is a double edged sword.
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

From first to last place in a week ! Nice selection all around this week so I don't feel too bad about it.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Sorry for the too obvious selection this coming week but I was struggling to think of a not-famous duet that I know and like
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

BleuPanda wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 12:40 pm Sorry for the too obvious selection this coming week but I was struggling to think of a not-famous duet that I know and like
I stuck with the description, two well known musicians collaborating, more than the usual definition of duet, so my well known musicians are not both singing.
Lagunin
Let's Get It On

Post by Lagunin »

I tried to submit three different songs, but all three had already been submited lol.
Never happened to me before.
At least I know some of the songs that are going to be in this week's playlist
Lagunin
Let's Get It On

Post by Lagunin »

Also, i wanna thank whoever submitted Cloth - Secret Measure last week.
I decided to listen to the album, and it was really good.
FrankLotion
Movin' On Up

Post by FrankLotion »

BleuPanda wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 12:40 pm Sorry for the too obvious selection this coming week but I was struggling to think of a not-famous duet that I know and like
I felt like obvious choices were kind of inevitable for this one, or at least I interpreted the “two well-known musicians” requirement as meaning they are pretty famous.
TheLastEnemy
Movin' On Up

Post by TheLastEnemy »

FrankLotion wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 10:15 pm
I felt like obvious choices were kind of inevitable for this one, or at least I interpreted the “two well-known musicians” requirement as meaning they are pretty famous.
Likewise, I would have chosen Tindersticks featuring Carla Torgerson, but describing them as well-known seemed like a stretch...
Presenter of 'The New Music Show' on www.welcomberadio.org.uk, Thursdays 6-8pm (UK time)
Listen later: https://www.mixcloud.com/chris-last/
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Although I abandon most games here during my holiday I will keep a tab on this, because I don't want to be excluded for not participating (though I'm not clear if that is a thing or not) and because the upcoming topics are among the better ones.
digitiser
Strange Fruit

Post by digitiser »

If you miss a week (or two) you may fall behind in the scoring... however with this league ending in 2025 I think you'll have time to catch back up if that concerns you :P

Anyone else keen to try it out there are still open spots in our game!
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

This morning I actually played the current playlist, Good Morning, while getting up. I started the playlist before my feet where even out of bed and my morning routine was accompanied by these selections. I had heard it once before, but now I could literally check how well it worked during getting up.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

The current topic is In Memoriam, artists who have passed away. My mind with nominating immediately went to people who died relatively recently (say, in the past 10 years) and it seems that by and large people here felt the same way, as most you can really see that the more recent the death, the more likely it was the artist appeared:

Who knows?: Polk Miller Old South Quartette
1976: Phil Ochs
1988: Roy Orbison
1997: The Notorious B.I.G.
2006: James Brown
2016: David Bowie (twice, the quintessential dead artist), Prince
2019: José José
2021: Greg Gilbert (Delays)
2022: Mimi Parker (Low)
2023: Rodriguez, Sinéad O'Connor, Harry Belafonte

9 out of 15 choices were of the last 10 years, while no other decade had more than one deceased. I actually ended up picking one of the pre-2010 entries, but mostly because I thought the song was perfect.
digitiser
Strange Fruit

Post by digitiser »

Wild to see Biggie nestled in between Roy Orbison and James Brown on that list. I do think that some of those more recent deaths were fresher in memory and just came to mind quicker.
FrankLotion
Movin' On Up

Post by FrankLotion »

Nice summary Rob! I similarly interpreted the theme to be a celebration for those recently lost given that their deaths are still being felt to some degree (for example I think we’ve already processed Roy Orbison’s death a long time ago).

I guess it’s no surprise then that 2023 deaths has the highest representation from us, those are all fresh on the mind.

With that said I’m glad that we got artists like Roy, Biggie, and James Brown on the playlist too because that adds a lot of context to the stages of that memorializing.
FrankLotion
Movin' On Up

Post by FrankLotion »

Okay now it’s my turn to overthink this: for this week’s theme are we limiting it to songs we found on the main site (i.e. songs on the aggregate lists) or is this also including songs discovered via the forum? (Such as MAA or other games)
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

I'm going with forum, but I guess the wording is vague enough to decide yourself, so what can I tell you?
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

Going forum too, I wouldn't be able to name a song or album I love that for sure I discovered through the Big List but I can name lots from the forum games and polls.
Well technically I listened to my favorite album of all time seeing it in the list to prepare for a forum poll so I guess that counts at something I discovered from the list itself.
Krurze
Movin' On Up

Post by Krurze »

I made a rather obvious pick last round because I wanted to win at least one round and it worked :D

Now I can go back to flooding the game with more obscure stuff in peace :music-listening:
FrankLotion
Movin' On Up

Post by FrankLotion »

Hello all! So to commemorate what’s been my favorite activity on the forum for a while, I decided to pull together some stats regarding our little music league. I meant to post this after 25 rounds but I didn’t anticipate how long it would take me to do, so here is the rundown after the first 26 rounds.

Here is the spreadsheet I used, note that the app doesn't use names for the three people who dropped out so for their nominations I just used a "?" in place of their names.

Music League Stats.xlsx

First, the songs.

In total, we’ve listened to 378 songs over the last 6 months. For the most part it has been a huge variety of artists showing up each week but there are a few that have shown up more than others, unsurprisingly David Bowie has shown up the most with five songs, but here are all the artists who have shown up three times or more:

David Bowie - 5
Arcade Fire – 4
The Beatles - 4
Bob Dylan – 4
Manic Street Preachers – 3
Muse – 3
Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds – 3
Nirvana – 3
R.E.M. – 3

There has also been a large variety of genres but overwhelmingly the songs nominated have been some variation of Rock. Admittedly genres are becoming more amorphous every year so there are many songs that straddle a few genres/subgenres. When it was not obvious what genre a song was a part of, I defaulted to how the artist describes themselves in their bio, checked AM, or checked Wikipedia when all else failed. It also doesn’t help that some genres are nebulous at best and are not especially helpful (Singer/Songwriter records especially run the gamut of subgenres here). Anyway, here are the most common genres that have shown up so far:

Rock -166
Pop – 67
Electronic – 24
Hip Hop – 17
Singer/Songwriter – 16
Folk – 12
Jazz – 12
Classical – 10
Metal – 8
Country/Americana – 7
Soul – 7

As for points songs in these genres tend to get, the averages for the most part follow that same list in descending order, with Rock songs typically getting 10.7 points on average. There are a couple notable outliers though, with the Country/Americana songs (including artists like Johnny Cash, CMAT, Billy Bragg, etc.) averaging the highest of any of these genres at 11.43 points per song, which is pretty surprising! The other big outlier that's punching above its weight-class so to speak would be the Soul songs, which average at 10 points every time they show up.

There have been a number of songs (fifteen to be exact) that have reached 18 points, but there are only four songs that have received even more than that:

David Bowie – "Heroes": 22 points
Monty Python – "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life": 21 points
The White Stripes – "Fell in Love With a Girl": 20 points
Patti Smith – "Dancing Barefoot": 19 points

Monty Python and The White Stripes showed up early so it makes sense they would have a better chance of receiving a lot of points, though it’s pretty amazing that our second-highest winner is a song as silly as “Always Look on the Bright Side of Life.” “Heroes” showed up quite a bit later but it's one of the most beloved songs of all time so it’s unsurprising that it tops the list. On the other hand, “Dancing Barefoot” showing up after 21 weeks and receiving so many points is quite impressive!

The “most discussed” songs would be “Song 2” by Blur, “Da Doo Ron Ron” by The Crystals, and “Power” by Kanye West which all received six comments along with votes (or the abstention of votes). All three tracks showed up early in the league, with “Song 2” and “Da Doo Ron Ron” amusingly generating most of their respective comments on people stating why the song didn’t make sense for the criteria of the week. “Power,” on the other hand, came through at what felt like at the time was very poor timing, coming soon after he was in the news for his Hitler worship, and half of the six comments reflect on that to some degree.
On the other end of the spectrum, the most successful song that received no comments at all would be “Feed the Tree” by Belly which got 15 points but no commentary. However, this distinction very nearly went to “Knights of Cydonia” by Muse, which received 16 points but only had one solitary “Hell yeah!” from Rob.

Lastly in regards to the songs, the two that received the most votes were “Miserlou” by Dick Dale and “O Children” by Nick Cave, both of which received votes from 12 people.

Now for the voters.

As shown in the app, Andy G. has the most points at 323, which after 26 rounds averages to 12.42 points per week.
We each had someone who most often voted for our songs. For example, Andy G. had two voters that most consistently voted for his songs, being Daniel Milner and pjbwolf who both voted for Andy G.’s songs for 21 of the 26 rounds. Therefore, here are our “biggest fans” of our nominations generally, with the parentheses containing that fan and how many times they voted for you.:

Andy (gerdgroessel – 21)
Andy G. (Daniel Milner, pjbwolf – 21)
Bryce (Nassim – 18)
Chris (pjbwolf – 23)
Daniel Milner (Andy – 20)
Digitizer (Bryce – 21)
fasbjd (Bryce, Nassim, Rob – 19)
gerdgroessel (fasbjd – 20)
krurze (fasbjd – 20)
Nassim (fasbjd – 22)
pjbwolf (Chris – 17)
Rob Van Den Bergh (Bryce – 21)
Rogelio A. (Bryce – 19)
Schüttelbirne (fasbjd, Rob – 17)

It’s probably no surprise that Bryce (me) and fasbjd appear often as biggest fans since we tend to spread our points around each week rather than throw a lot of points at a few songs.

There's a lot more stats that I could calculate if I was better at using Excel, so let me know if you have any tips on better ways to organize everything or any data you would want me to utilize for next time! :mrgreen:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
digitiser
Strange Fruit

Post by digitiser »

Very cool, Frank! Looks like I need to invest in some Country / Americana? You must have taken quite some time to collect those statistics... I can't imagine the music league exports any data. I averaged player scores and found that Andy (not G)'s got the 2nd highest average score and I've got 3rd... we are 4th and 8th! Should stop missing weeks, I think. Also, my variance was quite a bit higher than everyone's. A couple of 3s and a couple of 18s will do that I guess.

Also, I want to appreciate all of you throwing out stuff I've never heard all of the time. I really enjoy trying to predict who submitted which song each week.

I wonder if anyone would be interested in shorter leagues. 5 weeks maybe -- with a theme of some kind?
FrankLotion
Movin' On Up

Post by FrankLotion »

digitiser wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 4:43 pm Very cool, Frank! Looks like I need to invest in some Country / Americana? You must have taken quite some time to collect those statistics... I can't imagine the music league exports any data. I averaged player scores and found that Andy (not G)'s got the 2nd highest average score and I've got 3rd... we are 4th and 8th! Should stop missing weeks, I think. Also, my variance was quite a bit higher than everyone's. A couple of 3s and a couple of 18s will do that I guess.

Also, I want to appreciate all of you throwing out stuff I've never heard all of the time. I really enjoy trying to predict who submitted which song each week.

I wonder if anyone would be interested in shorter leagues. 5 weeks maybe -- with a theme of some kind?
Thanks! It was a lot of work but yeah I couldn’t find any way to export data from the app.

Regarding variance, I was apparently within the top three placements in four rounds but then cratered to the bottom in four other rounds. :? I think Nassim had even higher variance than that!
FrankLotion
Movin' On Up

Post by FrankLotion »

Also just realized that the spreadsheet doesn’t come out too well when checking it out on my phone, my bad on that. Should be more workable if you’re using a PC.
Karrenbrady
Debut

Post by Karrenbrady »

Can ceiling fans be installed on a sloping ceiling?
Many homes have ceiling fans as a popular addition. They are a good way to keep the air moving and by supplanting or substituting air conditioning, they can aid in lowering energy expenditures. However, installing a ceiling fan might be challenging with a sloping ceiling.

Learning About Sloping Ceilings

It's crucial to comprehend the features of a sloping ceiling before attempting to put a ceiling fan on one. A ceiling with one or more surfaces that slope upward at an angle is referred to as a sloping ceiling, vaulted ceiling, or cathedral ceiling. These ceilings are typically found in older or open-floor design homes.
A Comprehensive Guide to Getting the Best Ceiling Fans

Ceiling Fan Installation on a Sloping Ceiling

There are a number of things to take into account when installing a ceiling fan on a sloped ceiling. These include the fan's weight, the fan's weight bearing angle, and the mounting bracket's stability. The following advice will help to ensure a good installation:
Identify the Ceiling's Angle.
The type of mounting bracket you want depends on the angle of the ceiling. It's crucial to select a mounting bracket that is made for sloping ceilings because most great cooling devices are made to be mounted on level ceilings.

You'll need to use a level to find the angle of your ceiling. To center the bubble, place the level against the ceiling and make any adjustments. The degree measurement shown on the level corresponds to the angle of the ceiling.
You might also enjoy: Ceiling Fans Living: Best ceiling fan products

Decide on the Proper Mounting Bracket
You can select the ideal mounting bracket for your great cooling device once you've established the angle of the ceiling. For sloping ceilings, a variety of mounting brackets, including angled and adjustable brackets, are available.

A particular angle of ceiling slope is accommodated by an angled bracket. It is crucial to select the appropriate bracket for your ceiling from the variety of angles that these brackets are offered in.

A bracket that is adjustable can be used on ceilings of different angles. A variety of ceiling slopes can be accommodated by adjusting these brackets.

Verify the Balance of the Fan
It's crucial to make sure the great cooling device is balanced when mounting it on a sloped ceiling. Unbalanced ceiling fans may wobble, endangering the object and posing a danger to people.

Use a balancing kit to check that the fan is balanced. To make sure the fan spins evenly, this kit includes weights that can be fastened to the blades. To make sure the fan is properly balanced, carefully follow the manufacturer's instructions.

Verify the Mounting Bracket's Firmness
The part that fastens the fan to the ceiling is the mounting bracket. Make sure the bracket is sturdy and able to withstand the weight of the fan.

Use screws that are appropriate for the kind of ceiling material when installing the mounting bracket. Use wood screws, for instance, if you're mounting the bracket to a wooden ceiling. Use metal screws when mounting the bracket to a metal ceiling.

Employ a Downrod
A metal rod that runs from the ceiling to the fan is known as a downrod. With the aid of this rod, the fan may be lowered to the ideal height for the space. A downrod is necessary to guarantee that the great cooling device is set at the proper height when installing it on a sloping ceiling.

Make sure the downrod you choose is the right length for the slope of your ceiling. The fan will be too close to the ceiling if the downrod is too short, which could lessen its efficacy. The fan may wobble if the downrod is excessively lengthy.

Conclusion
Although installing a ceiling fan on a sloped ceiling can be difficult, it is feasible to succeed with the correct equipment and methods. It's crucial to pick the proper mounting bracket, make sure the fan is balanced, and use a downrod to position the fan at the proper height when placing a kitchen ceiling fan on a sloped ceiling. You can profit from a ceiling fan even on a sloping ceiling by following these suggestions.
Source: Swing Chair Living
Last edited by Karrenbrady on Sun Dec 10, 2023 5:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
Krurze
Movin' On Up

Post by Krurze »

I just left the league because I realized I don't really find the time necessary to listen to the amount of music required regularly.

It was great fun while it lasted! :greetings-waveyellow:
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Huh, now 20th Century Boy won for the second time. I had completely forgotten it appeared before and won too.

Obviously that means that I'm now nominating 20th Century Boy for the upcoming eighties playlist, as I desperately want to win.
Madzong
Shake Some Action

Post by Madzong »

I didn’t know there was an unwritten rule that no one can submit the same song more than once 🤷‍♂️

Believe it or not, I had genuinely forgotten that it had already been submitted eleven (!) rounds ago…
"On a mountain range, I'm Dr. Strange"

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”