Music league

hectorthebat
Unquestionable Presence

Music league

Post by hectorthebat »

Does anyone use musicleague.com, and could this be a way of running future tournaments/games?
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Re: Music league

Post by Rob »

Never heard of it before, but it could be fun.
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

Looks fun indeed, could be the opportunity to try "out there" categories instead of years or genres.
FrankLotion
Movin' On Up

Post by FrankLotion »

Seems fun!
hectorthebat
Unquestionable Presence

Post by hectorthebat »

Check out this "Acclaimedmusic.net league" Music League! https://app.musicleague.com/l/25373c0a0 ... e26d22a910

I set it up, please join, it'll be very relaxed!
hectorthebat
Unquestionable Presence

Post by hectorthebat »

Still 5 days to join!
Gillingham
Into the Groove

Post by Gillingham »

What's the idea of this 'music league'? Could you elaborate a bit please?
hectorthebat
Unquestionable Presence

Post by hectorthebat »

Each week there's a topic - you submit one track each on the theme, and it generates a playlist which everyone votes on.
Krurze
Movin' On Up

Post by Krurze »

This could be good fun, hoping this gains some traction. But maybe 100 rounds is a bit long and might seem overwhelming to some? :?
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

I just submitted my song for the first round. I see there are 100 rounds, each with another theme. If we continue for this long I'll make it a goal of mine to never repeat an artist.

Edit: I will have to skip the category of songs discovered on Tiktok, as I don't use it and am not planning to either.
digitiser
Strange Fruit

Post by digitiser »

Thanks for starting this league! Since hectorbeat mentioned this app I have joined a few leagues and heard some good music!
hectorthebat
Unquestionable Presence

Post by hectorthebat »

Krurze wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:01 pm This could be good fun, hoping this gains some traction. But maybe 100 rounds is a bit long and might seem overwhelming to some? :?
Haha, definitely, but I'm keen to focus more on the music side and less on the league! If people end up missing a week or forgetting to vote, it won't be the end of the world. I just thought this was easier than setting up a new league every few weeks
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

I hope you guys tried to be a bit original in that first round, I won't vote for All Along the Watchtower or Hallelujah !
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Nassim wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:34 pm I hope you guys tried to be a bit original in that first round, I won't vote for All Along the Watchtower or Hallelujah !
Don't worry, I went for Aretha Franklin's version of Respect ;) :P
hectorthebat
Unquestionable Presence

Post by hectorthebat »

Last call - there are a couple of spaces before we begin tomorrow!
hectorthebat
Unquestionable Presence

Post by hectorthebat »

Rob wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:08 pm I just submitted my song for the first round. I see there are 100 rounds, each with another theme. If we continue for this long I'll make it a goal of mine to never repeat an artist.

Edit: I will have to skip the category of songs discovered on Tiktok, as I don't use it and am not planning to either.
I changed that topic!
Madzong
Shake Some Action

Post by Madzong »

Rob wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 7:50 am
Nassim wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:34 pm I hope you guys tried to be a bit original in that first round, I won't vote for All Along the Watchtower or Hallelujah !
Don't worry, I went for Aretha Franklin's version of Respect ;) :P
I hope me picking the Crazy Frog cover of Axel F was okay?

:)
"On a mountain range, I'm Dr. Strange"
FrankLotion
Movin' On Up

Post by FrankLotion »

This is fun! So do we have to wait until this round’s over before we can submit songs for the next round?
hectorthebat
Unquestionable Presence

Post by hectorthebat »

FrankLotion wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:12 am This is fun! So do we have to wait until this round’s over before we can submit songs for the next round?
Yes, but once everyone's voted, it should move on to the next round automatically, rather than having to wait.
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

I didn't vote for the 5 I consider more well known than the original because that's no fun to me, but given that 4 of them are currently in the top 5 I guess not everybody felt the same.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Nice touch that you can't vote for your own song!
Nassim wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 1:23 pm I didn't vote for the 5 I consider more well known than the original because that's no fun to me, but given that 4 of them are currently in the top 5 I guess not everybody felt the same.
I feel your frustration, but there is a problem with not voting for these five: the element of choice get all but removed. You get 10 picks out 17 songs. This way you have already removed 6 from the options: the five boring picks and your own nomination, which you aren't allowed to vote for. That leaves 11 songs, of which only 1 doesn't get your vote. Basically, the game is pretty much dead.

I also didn't want to vote for the obvious picks, despite all being in my top 1000 of all time (Hallelujah and Hurt even being in my top 100), as I want to encourage people to go with more hidden gems. At the same time, I wanted to be true to my tastes. So what I did was first pick all the lesser-known songs that I really liked. I ended up with 7 picks this way. I ended my list with three of the obvious picks, leaving two of those by the wayside, along with four songs I didn't want to vote for anyway. It's convoluted and not really "fair", but I hope people will be even a little more daring in their choices next time. I never see the point in these games if there isn't an element of discovery.
Krurze
Movin' On Up

Post by Krurze »

Rob wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 2:07 pm I feel your frustration, but there is a problem with not voting for these five: the element of choice get all but removed. You get 10 picks out 17 songs. This way you have already removed 6 from the options: the five boring picks and your own nomination, which you aren't allowed to vote for. That leaves 11 songs, of which only 1 doesn't get your vote. Basically, the game is pretty much dead.
Just a quick hint: You don't have to give any song you choose exactly one point. You have ten points available that you can freely distribute among all songs. So you could as well choose five of the lesser known covers and give each two points or even give all ten to one you really dig.

But I think giving more points to fewer songs might actually hurt the obscure picks more than evenly spreading out the points, which I plan to keep on doing.
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

Krurze wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 3:06 pm
Rob wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 2:07 pm I feel your frustration, but there is a problem with not voting for these five: the element of choice get all but removed. You get 10 picks out 17 songs. This way you have already removed 6 from the options: the five boring picks and your own nomination, which you aren't allowed to vote for. That leaves 11 songs, of which only 1 doesn't get your vote. Basically, the game is pretty much dead.
Just a quick hint: You don't have to give any song you choose exactly one point. You have ten points available that you can freely distribute among all songs. So you could as well choose five of the lesser known covers and give each two points or even give all ten to one you really dig.

But I think giving more points to fewer songs might actually hurt the obscure picks more than evenly spreading out the points, which I plan to keep on doing.
Yeah I gave all the songs I enjoyed at least 1 point and up to 3 for my favourite so it was all fine and dandy for me !
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Krurze wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 3:06 pm

Ah, I missed that. It makes sense, as voting for over half the nominees seemed a bit much for a game, even if I liked them all.
FrankLotion
Movin' On Up

Post by FrankLotion »

You all better submit some legit embarrassing stuff this week, no ABBA or Bee Gees allowed!

Not that serious, I just want to see what people are actually guilty about liking!
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

So, it seems that if you don't vote in time and perhaps also don't nominate on time you are expelled from the game? This seems to have happened with someone now. That puts quite some pressure on things. Although I'm planning on nominating and voting each time, I could easily see me forgetting it when I'm on holiday or something.

Also, after a few weeks I'm getting a bit tired of the almost constant negative comments of That Surreal Woman (whoever that is here) on every song that is not hers. Negative reviews are part of it, but if you only can do that and also consistently speak from a superior position it sours the whole thing. Especially since there are few other commentators. Maybe I'm stepping out of line by calling it out (and I can get cranky in my comments myself when people submit songs that don't follow the theme), but here we are.
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

I think you just lose any point you would have got in that round and that the specific user left on his own but that would need to be confirmed!
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Post by Sweepstakes Ron »

Welp, looks like this current round is gonna force me to listen to Ye for the first time since before Death Con. And of course, it's the song of his I've long held as my favorite, so now the stakes are all the higher for the fear that all the good feelings I had towards the music will become irrevocably ruined the second his voice enters my ears again. Or, more likely, I'll just listen to the playlist during a workout and let it pump me up, just like the rest of the songs on the playlist. I guess every superhero need his theme music...
Splish splash, I was raking in the cash
LiamEvans210
Superunknown

Post by LiamEvans210 »

I never go out of my way to review anything but I was invited to a Music League group at work and it has been so much fun. I was in kind of a music slump for years, just listening to my old favorites, lazy about seeking out new music. This gives you the nudge you need to start digging a little deeper. Best thing though is that you discover new music from complete strangers. I love it
https://sonneriestelephone.com/
Last edited by LiamEvans210 on Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

It's great to see this most recent round's victory go to a song that's gone relatively overlooked here until now. I hadn't heard it before but it was the absolute perfect pick for that playlist.

With regards to Rob's comment, I actually own a set of waterproof headphones that you can load with some mp3s, and I always bring it with me when I go to the pool. For me, swimming laps is the absolute best place for a workout playlist, whereas I prefer to catch up on podcasts or audiobooks when I go to the gym (whether this is an effective motivator during a workout has yet to be determined).
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

Sweepstakes Ron wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 2:54 am It's great to see this most recent round's victory go to a song that's gone relatively overlooked here until now. I hadn't heard it before but it was the absolute perfect pick for that playlist.

With regards to Rob's comment, I actually own a set of waterproof headphones that you can load with some mp3s, and I always bring it with me when I go to the pool. For me, swimming laps is the absolute best place for a workout playlist, whereas I prefer to catch up on podcasts or audiobooks when I go to the gym (whether this is an effective motivator during a workout has yet to be determined).
I didn't expect to win that round !

Oh waterproof headphones seem interesting, when I swim all I do is try to remember how many laps I have done so far (which I might not be able to do with music on though)
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Ghostface Killah was indeed a unexpected winner for the work-out round, but perhaps my favorite winner up til now. When I saw One More Time on the list I thought it would be the immediate winner, but it didn't do all that well.

Thanks for the tip, Ron, but I have to admit that by now I have come to appreciate being alone with my own thoughts in the water. Swimming laps is a great way to clear the mind.
Krurze
Movin' On Up

Post by Krurze »

Quick question: Is there any way to see the round results without clicking on the link in the mail?
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

Krurze wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:14 pm Quick question: Is there any way to see the round results without clicking on the link in the mail?
Yes in the app if you scroll down on the list of rounds you get to the completed rounds (it's a long scroll because of all the rounds already planned !
Krurze
Movin' On Up

Post by Krurze »

Nassim wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:44 pm
Krurze wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:14 pm Quick question: Is there any way to see the round results without clicking on the link in the mail?
Yes in the app if you scroll down on the list of rounds you get to the completed rounds (it's a long scroll because of all the rounds already planned !
Ah I see! Thanks!
TheLastEnemy
Movin' On Up

Post by TheLastEnemy »

Rob wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 11:08 am Also, after a few weeks I'm getting a bit tired of the almost constant negative comments of That Surreal Woman (whoever that is here) on every song that is not hers. Negative reviews are part of it, but if you only can do that and also consistently speak from a superior position it sours the whole thing. Especially since there are few other commentators. Maybe I'm stepping out of line by calling it out (and I can get cranky in my comments myself when people submit songs that don't follow the theme), but here we are.
Several weeks on this hasn't changed. I totally agree with Rob, serious danger of The Surreal Woman's remarks spoiling it for everyone else. It's supposed to be a bit of fun after all.
Presenter of 'The New Music Show' on www.welcomberadio.org.uk, Thursdays 6-8pm (UK time)
Listen later: https://www.mixcloud.com/chris-last/
Krurze
Movin' On Up

Post by Krurze »

I feel a bit different about her. I think having someone criticise your picks is the lesser evil compared to losing a player with a unique taste that actually offers fresh discoveries week after week. And to be quite honest I also kinda enjoy reading her frank and uninhibited takes. I see it as a bit of friendly banter.
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Okay, a memory is coming back to me of some user whose name I can't recall, who was probably mostly on the old forums (before my time) but may have also been on the current forums a few times? And they would often post in oddly structured tangents, showcasing highly esoteric taste whilst often deriding many of the popular favorites. If anyone can remember this person's name, could this perhaps be the true identity of The Surrealist Woman?
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Sweepstakes Ron wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:42 am Okay, a memory is coming back to me of some user whose name I can't recall, who was probably mostly on the old forums (before my time) but may have also been on the current forums a few times? And they would often post in oddly structured tangents, showcasing highly esoteric taste whilst often deriding many of the popular favorites. If anyone can remember this person's name, could this perhaps be the true identity of The Surrealist Woman?
This is almost certainly netjade.
Krurze
Movin' On Up

Post by Krurze »

Whoever it was, the mysterious competitor has left the league.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Krurze wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:41 pm I feel a bit different about her. I think having someone criticise your picks is the lesser evil compared to losing a player with a unique taste that actually offers fresh discoveries week after week. And to be quite honest I also kinda enjoy reading her frank and uninhibited takes. I see it as a bit of friendly banter.
I don't mind criticism on the picks, but it is the clear disdain for the people who nominate them that rubs me the wrong way. I think people are always free to dislike or even hate any song, but never attack people who like it.

But yeah, she has left the game. Don't know if the comments here have anything to do with it, or simply that she hadn't heard anything she liked here except maybe two or three songs.
TheLastEnemy
Movin' On Up

Post by TheLastEnemy »

I must have missed the point of this game somewhere along the way. I thought we were supposed to nominate / vote for our favourites, not the most obscure track we can think of. So to clarify, on this new round (songs from this year), should I be nominating (a) a song I like, and other people like too, or (b) a song no-one has heard of?
Presenter of 'The New Music Show' on www.welcomberadio.org.uk, Thursdays 6-8pm (UK time)
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

I've passed over this thread without actually opening it several times and have decided to join in.
Krurze
Movin' On Up

Post by Krurze »

TheLastEnemy wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 2:58 pm I must have missed the point of this game somewhere along the way. I thought we were supposed to nominate / vote for our favourites, not the most obscure track we can think of. So to clarify, on this new round (songs from this year), should I be nominating (a) a song I like, and other people like too, or (b) a song no-one has heard of?
I think you should pick songs you're excited to share with other music lovers :)
FrankLotion
Movin' On Up

Post by FrankLotion »

BleuPanda wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 3:29 pm I've passed over this thread without actually opening it several times and have decided to join in.
Welcome! It’s been a lot of fun so far.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

TheLastEnemy wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 2:58 pm I must have missed the point of this game somewhere along the way. I thought we were supposed to nominate / vote for our favourites, not the most obscure track we can think of. So to clarify, on this new round (songs from this year), should I be nominating (a) a song I like, and other people like too, or (b) a song no-one has heard of?
I mean, there isn't a properly defined way to do it, so you can do whatever you want, but I think more than a few of us feel that there is little point in nominating something that already widely loved on the forum. It's just strange to get a free round in which every single song in history can be nominated and we get Smells Like Teen Spirit, Good Vibrations, Rebellion (Lies) and A Day in the Life in the line-up. I find it hard to see the point in nominating something everybody here knows and loves.

I approach it not as picking an obscure song, but as either something that is indeed lesser known or something that might be known but seems underrated. Some picks, like work-out songs, don't really function that way and need a more direct approach, but mostly I find playlist with several songs from the AM top 1000 not terribly inspiring. To each their own, though.
fasbjd
Wannabe

Post by fasbjd »

Yeah. I agree with Rob here. I’m more excited to find new discoveries, like the Frog song, and will tailor my picks in that way. I’ll nominate songs I like / love but may fly under the radar in hopes others will be turned on to them.
TheLastEnemy
Movin' On Up

Post by TheLastEnemy »

The problem I have is that we have two groups of people following different rules. The first group, including me and at least one other person I know, who have simply been trying to choose the best example they could think of in the category. The second group following an extra rule where it is better if the song is less well-known, in an attempt to introduce people to good music they might not know.

For those in the first group, nominating a song everyone knows and loves is exactly the right way to play the game. There is a reason why these songs are high up in the AMD top 10000 after all. For those in the second group, nominating those songs is the wrong way to play the game, for the reasons Rob describes.

I have no problem with the game being played either way. What I do have a problem with is unwritten rules that not everyone is aware of. I don't care about the results of the league (which is just as well in my case) but I do get upset when I fall foul of something I am not aware of. I would just rather we were all trying to do the same thing, whatever that is.
PJBWolf
Wannabe

Post by PJBWolf »

I'm really confused to what the written and unwritten rules are when nominating songs. I picked a very well known song for the Free Parking round because I geniunely thought it was a great opportunity to vote for the most well known tracks against each other as there were no rules. There are plenty of rounds coming up where less known tracks are going to come up naturally.

Plus this is the acclaimedmusic.net league. Seems pretty reasonable for there to be nominations of songs that are critically acclaimed.
FrankLotion
Movin' On Up

Post by FrankLotion »

I can’t say I’m too fussed about whether people want to nominate super acclaimed songs or not, when I nominate a song I have most fun deciding what songs might be most fun or unexpected for the category that week but having some occasional heavy hitters in the mix doesn’t detract from the fun for me.

I’ll probably continue to devote my points to other songs because those will perk my interest more but if you want to nominate Purple Rain for the “Movie Soundtrack” week I’m fine with it.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”