Albums and Songs of 2012

Cicice
Let's Get It On

Re: Albums and Songs of 2012

Post by Cicice »

What did I tell ya Holden? Good Kid, Maad City won the top spot after all.

I would have thought Bloom was going to be the second runner up. I'll have to check to that album out and see how good it is. I know "Myth" was a brilliant song.
Holden
Never Going Back Again

Post by Holden »

Cicice wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 9:58 pm What did I tell ya Holden? Good Kid, Maad City won the top spot after all.

I would have thought Bloom was going to be the second runner up. I'll have to check to that album out and see how good it is. I know "Myth" was a brilliant song.
When I posed that question it was too early to tell, but while tabulating it was never really in question, GKMC was the clear favorite from the beginning (rightfully so, I MUCH prefer it.) For the songs, however, Myth and Emmylou juggled it for a while until Oblivion became the clear winner.
"The better a singer's voice, the harder it is to believe what they're saying."
Cicice
Let's Get It On

Post by Cicice »

Holden wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 10:09 pm
Cicice wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 9:58 pm What did I tell ya Holden? Good Kid, Maad City won the top spot after all.

When I posed that question it was too early to tell, but while tabulating it was never really in question, GKMC was the clear favorite from the beginning (rightfully so, I MUCH prefer it.) For the songs, however, Myth and Emmylou juggled it for a while until Oblivion became the clear winner.
You're telling me Oblivion or Pyramids were never the ones leading it from the beginning?? But then again, Myth was the one I noticed that either had the most inclusion or the highest placement earlier on. Until you pointed it, I did not know how I missed out on how well Emmylou was doing. I think it's to do with the frequent inclusion of Bloom and Myth that made me notice Beach House more and also being distracted with rooting other users appreciation for Inspector Norse and Euphoria, even if the two did not make my Top 20.

You know what else? Earlier when I did that count up, Bloom and Born To Die had the most intense struggle between their 2nd and 3rd spot. One was only 3 points ahead. It made me wonder where these two were going to finish along with Myth and Oblivion.

I can't speak for Good Kid, Maad City cause I haven't heard but I have heard his following two. But I might have to agree with the "rightfully so" because back when I was trying out two albums by Kendrick and Frank, I enjoyed Kendrick's albums easily whilst I struggled hard with Frank until this month with Channel Orange.

2013 doesn't look like there's a clear No.1, who would be your early guess between Kanye West vs Vampire Weekend vs Daft Punk?
Holden
Never Going Back Again

Post by Holden »

Cicice wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 12:44 am

You're telling me Oblivion or Pyramids were never the ones leading it from the beginning?? But then again, Myth was the one I noticed that either had the most inclusion or the highest placement earlier on. Until you pointed it, I did not know how I missed out on how well Emmylou was doing. I think it's to do with the frequent inclusion of Bloom and Myth that made me notice Beach House more and also being distracted with rooting other users appreciation for Inspector Norse and Euphoria, even if the two did not make my Top 20.

You know what else? Earlier when I did that count up, Bloom and Born To Die had the most intense struggle between their 2nd and 3rd spot. One was only 3 points ahead. It made me wonder where these two were going to finish along with Myth and Oblivion.

I can't speak for Good Kid, Maad City cause I haven't heard but I have heard his following two. But I might have to agree with the "rightfully so" because back when I was trying out two albums by Kendrick and Frank, I enjoyed Kendrick's albums easily whilst I struggled hard with Frank until this month with Channel Orange.

2013 doesn't look like there's a clear No.1, who would be your early guess between Kanye West vs Vampire Weekend vs Daft Punk?
GKMC is maybe my favorite hip hop album of all time, so I'd say it's for sure worth listening too. A must, even. I think it'll be Vampire Weekend winning 2013, with Daft Punk probably being two and maybe having enough support to crack number one. I don't think Yeezus really stands a chance, it scored poorly (relative to critics) in all of our recent polls involving it.

If I had to make predictions on the remaining years, it would go like this:
2013: Modern Vampires of the City (Very strongly think it will be this, potentially losing to Daft Punk but that seems unlikely)
2014: Lost in the Dream (Not totally convinced, maybe Black Messiah will take it, but LITD is my bet.
2015: To Pimp a Butterfly (100% lock)
2016: Blackstar (100% lock, even moreso than TPAB)
2017: Masseduction (Easily the one I'm least sure on, it could honestly be any of this, Melodrama, American Dream or Damn. My prediction is in that order for likelihood)
2018: Dirty Computer (Can't really see anything else taking it, but not nearly as dominant as 2015/2016, so I could be surprised)
2019: Norman Fucking Rockwell! (Titanic Rising could reclaim its crown, but I'm skeptical it will. Definitely one of those two though)
Cicice
Let's Get It On

Post by Cicice »

Ok Good Kid, Maad City, some time this month let's see what you got. Liking the predictions and thoughts too. This is my predictions:

2013: Modern Vampires Of The City
2014: Ultraviolence
2015: To Pimp A Butterfly
2016: Blonde
2017: Melodrama
2018: Dirty Computer
2019: Magdalene

2013: I think I'm leaning to agree with you on this, just a little.

2015: No questions about it. I even think Sufjan has reserved the second spot for himself.

2016: It's going to be a heated one between this and Bowie. I don't even think Beyonce, Mitski or A Tribe Called Quest could get close, Leonard maybe.

2017: I would love to think St. Vincent but I can't see her getting past Lorde, Kendrick and SZA.

2018: The album I see going up Janelle is from Low. I think Mimi's recent death might help with the listening experience. The ArchAndroid scored it large but C'Mon also scored well for a bubbling under album.

2019: It's going to be between this and Lana, I think these two will have Weyes Blood finish a strong 3rd.

Now I left the note for this one last cause this is the year I'm most unsure of..
2014: I don't disagree with your predictions for The War On Drugs because 2014 is filled with possible winners: St. Vincent vs Run The Jewels, War On Drugs vs Swans, Lana Del Rey vs Azealia Banks, D' Angelo vs FKA Twigs! I was about to pick Run The Jewels as my prediction.

But then it hit me, if you think Lana has a chance of winning 2019, then I think she stood a chance at winning 2014.
I've seen many Best Lana Album rankings and its mostly the Norman and Ultraviolence album that finishes on top from many of those lists with Norman being mostly the critics favourite and Ultraviolence being mostly the fans favourite.
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Post by prosecutorgodot »

I think Holden's on the money. I'm personally betting on Titanic Rising for 2019, but seeing as Born to Die did so well, it could easily swing the other way. For 2017, yeah probably Masseduction, though I would hope it would be none of those four.
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

Cicice wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 3:25 am
2016: Blonde

2016: It's going to be a heated one between this and Bowie. I don't even think Beyonce, Mitski or A Tribe Called Quest could get close, Leonard maybe.
No it won't be, blackstar was ranked 4th in our end of decade poll, Blonde was 54th, they are not in the same league as far as AMF love goes.
Blonde probably won't be top 3, it will be behind Lemonade and A Moon Shaped Pool. Wouldn't be surprised if it was also behind Skeleton Tree or slightly less likely Teens of Denial.

On an unrelated not, Hacker in the top 10 is among my favorite AMF results ever.
Come here fellow voters ! Especially you mileswide ! :romance-grouphug:
Cicice
Let's Get It On

Post by Cicice »

prosecutorgodot wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 4:33 am I think Holden's on the money. I'm personally betting on Titanic Rising for 2019, but seeing as Born to Die did so well, it could easily swing the other way. For 2017, yeah probably Masseduction, though I would hope it would be none of those four.
I knew the reception for Titanic Rising was going to be Top 3 strong, I didn't think it was going to be No. 1 strong. Even stronger than Big Thief and Billie Eilish (I still can't stand that album)? Do you think Ultraviolence would stand a chance in 2014? Cause if Born To Die and Norman does well, Ultraviolence is going to do well.

Who would you have wanted to win for 2017? Imagine if Father John Misty came out as the winner by surprise.
Cicice
Let's Get It On

Post by Cicice »

Nassim wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 9:04 am
Cicice wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 3:25 am

No it won't be, blackstar was ranked 4th in our end of decade poll, Blonde was 54th, they are not in the same league as far as AMF love goes.
Blonde probably won't be top 3, it will be behind Lemonade and A Moon Shaped Pool. Wouldn't be surprised if it was also behind Skeleton Tree or slightly less likely Teens of Denial.

On an unrelated not, Hacker in the top 10 is among my favorite AMF results ever.
Really? Blonde was all the way down to 54th? Where did Channel Orange ended up? How long ago did this decade poll happen? I've never seen it. Until I've warmed up to Blonde, I'm glad there's appreciation for A Moon Shaped Pool, I love that album. I remember early when that album came out and even up to 2021, it was still "In Rainbow this! OK Computer that!" with the fans. In many Radiohead album rank, I notice A Moon Shaped Pool would mostly end up 5th or surprisingly 7th out of 9. That's what made me think A Moon Shaped Pool wasn't going to hit Top 5 in 2016 especially coupled with the well recieved final albums from Leonard Cohen and A Tribe Called Quest, like how well the last Daft Punk album is doing for 2013.

Bare in mind, I have not seen this decade poll, so I'm just going off by clues and guesses of what fans love without knowing what the Acclaimed Music Forum voters loves.

Awww, you go and group hug it! I do like these sort of moments where it breaks from the expected. Ondatropica even had Dan C chuffed. The most surprising for result moment for me was Pepe Deluxe. I recognise the name but the only song I've ever heard from them was "Lying Peacefully", I would not have guessed that they were this well loved by some of the voters. I think I saw someone vote for I Am Kloot in another year.

But honestly, which album would you guess for 2014 and 2018? They are the years I'm least certain and most curious with, Holden would know better than me but I'm betting they'll be a change with these two.
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

Cicice wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 1:02 pm
Nassim wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 9:04 am

Really? Blonde was all the way down to 54th? Where did Channel Orange ended up? How long ago did this decade poll happen? I've never seen it. Until I've warmed up to Blonde, I'm glad there's appreciation for A Moon Shaped Pool, I love that album. I remember early when that album came out and even up to 2021, it was still "In Rainbow this! OK Computer that!" with the fans. In many Radiohead album rank, I notice A Moon Shaped Pool would mostly end up 5th or surprisingly 7th out of 9. That's what made me think A Moon Shaped Pool wasn't going to hit Top 5 in 2016 especially coupled with the well recieved final albums from Leonard Cohen and A Tribe Called Quest, like how well the last Daft Punk album is doing for 2013.

Bare in mind, I have not seen this decade poll, so I'm just going off by clues and guesses of what fans love without knowing what the Acclaimed Music Forum voters loves.
The end of decade album poll results are here if you want to have a look. Tastes evolves through time but I don't expect huge swings either (at least for 2010 to 2017, we did the poll in early 2020 so the opinions for those years had less time to settle")

I think Holden's prediction are fairly accurate, though as he mentioned some years will be close ones.
I'd bet on :

2013 : Modern Vampires of the City (but it ended very closely with R.A.M. on the EOD decade poll... I think R.A.M. is a terrible album though, very likely to end last in my final decade ballot, so I'm not willing to bet on it)
2014 : Lost in the Dream. It didn't do that great in the EOD poll but every other 2014 album did worse (and some of your predictions are outlandish, I'd be surprised to see Azealia Banks make the top 20, even if I know the album has its stans around here, and sure Run the Jewels will be my #1 but they don't stand a chance around here. They'll probably end up somewhere between 6th and 8th).
2015 : TPaB (we do love Carrie and Lowell so it might give it a fair fight but Kendrick should still win it fairly easily)
2016 : blackstar (easiest prediction on the remaining years)
2017 : Melodrama (it had a decent lead in the EOD poll and we have only turned more poptimist since so I think it's the most likely... I'd never count out LCD Soundsystem in an AMF poll though)
2018 : Dirty Computer by default (and it will be the lowest ranked #1 in the final poll most likely)
2019 : NFR (like R.A.M. I think it's a pretty bad album but I'd be surprised if Titanic Rising could pull it off again).
Last edited by Nassim on Tue May 02, 2023 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Holden
Never Going Back Again

Post by Holden »

Nassim, good point all around. Also interesting opinions, I was unaware there were RAM haters around here.
Cicice
Let's Get It On

Post by Cicice »

By the sound of it, Titanic Rising was THAT close to winning. That's really interesting.

I knew it! Slowly after Carly was given the "Indie Darling" title in 2016 after the commercial underperfomance of E-Mo-Tion, I knew the Poptism embrace came fully somewhere around the Melodrama album!

My predictions are outlandish is because I haven't seen the poll you all did in 2020, of course I wasn't going get it right. I did say 2014 was the year I'm least certain on and it does show. The curiosity makes the unpredictable journey more exciting, but it does come strictly down to the music in the end and not the competition.

I'm looking at the 2014 albums on the site and I don't really see an obvious winner like To Pimp A Butterfly and Let England Shake. I see some strong albums with some pretty equal merit. My predictions for Azealia is because:

I thought she was going to be another case of where the listeners has to "separate the art from the artist" or in other words "I don't support their actions but this artist is mad talented / but I do like their music", like the case with Kanye and probably Swans and Arcade Fire and all three of them made the Top 5 voted albums, that's one example. Also because I'm uncertain on a winner for 2014, anyone of these albums sounds like a winner for all I know. :character-cookiemonster:
Cicice
Let's Get It On

Post by Cicice »

The end of decade album poll results are here if you want to have a look. Tastes evolves through time but I don't expect huge swings either (at least for 2010 to 2017, we did the poll in early 2020 so the opinions for those years had less time to settle")

Oh thank you for providing the link to the poll, I'm looking at it and I don't know what to say except forgot all the shit I've just said. Let England Shake has now dethroned your previous poll's #1?!?
Holden
Never Going Back Again

Post by Holden »

Cicice wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 7:14 pm The end of decade album poll results are here if you want to have a look. Tastes evolves through time but I don't expect huge swings either (at least for 2010 to 2017, we did the poll in early 2020 so the opinions for those years had less time to settle")

Oh thank you for providing the link to the poll, I'm looking at it and I don't know what to say except forgot all the shit I've just said. Let England Shake has now dethroned your previous poll's #1?!?
What do you mean about Let England Shake? It got number one in the original end of year poll and was the highest ranked album for 2011 on the end of decade poll.
Cicice
Let's Get It On

Post by Cicice »

Holden wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 9:19 pm
Cicice wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 7:14 pm The end of decade album poll results are here if you want to have a look. Tastes evolves through time but I don't expect huge swings either (at least for 2010 to 2017, we did the poll in early 2020 so the opinions for those years had less time to settle")

What do you mean about Let England Shake? It got number one in the original end of year poll and was the highest ranked album for 2011 on the end of decade poll.
I clicked Nassim's link to the previous result of the poll. It says My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy won (with 2,747 points) and Let England Shake finished 9th (with 1,647 points). On this current poll (or wild card) at the moment, Let England Shake is sitting at #1 whilst My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy is 3rd. Bit of change there.
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Cicice wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 12:51 pm
prosecutorgodot wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 4:33 am I think Holden's on the money. I'm personally betting on Titanic Rising for 2019, but seeing as Born to Die did so well, it could easily swing the other way. For 2017, yeah probably Masseduction, though I would hope it would be none of those four.
I knew the reception for Titanic Rising was going to be Top 3 strong, I didn't think it was going to be No. 1 strong. Even stronger than Big Thief and Billie Eilish (I still can't stand that album)? Do you think Ultraviolence would stand a chance in 2014? Cause if Born To Die and Norman does well, Ultraviolence is going to do well.

Who would you have wanted to win for 2017? Imagine if Father John Misty came out as the winner by surprise.
To be clear, I don't think anything else will win, but if we're playing fantasy football, Tyler the Creator would be cool, the NieR: Automata OST would be awesome. Out of my favorites, probably the Algiers album has the greatest chance of winning (which is to say zero).
Holden
Never Going Back Again

Post by Holden »

Cicice wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 10:01 pm
Holden wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 9:19 pm

I clicked Nassim's link to the previous result of the poll. It says My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy won (with 2,747 points) and Let England Shake finished 9th (with 1,647 points). On this current poll (or wild card) at the moment, Let England Shake is sitting at #1 whilst My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy is 3rd. Bit of change there.
Oh okay, that makes sense. I’d say that that comparison is probably not too apt, in that there’s no way LES beats MBDTW in the decade poll. It’s much better used as a metric of how dominant an album is within a year. There’s no other album near the level of Let England Shake in 2011, whereas I think there’s four or more albums vying for the win in 2010 (MBDTF, Archandroid, The Suburbs, High Violet, and maybe even This Is Happening if we’re feeling spicy) and drawing points from the top spot.
Cicice
Let's Get It On

Post by Cicice »

Holden wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 1:08 am
Cicice wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 12:44 am
GKMC is maybe my favorite hip hop album of all time, so I'd say it's for sure worth listening too. A must, even. I think it'll be Vampire Weekend winning 2013, with Daft Punk probably being two and maybe having enough support to crack number one. I don't think Yeezus really stands a chance, it scored poorly (relative to critics) in all of our recent polls involving it.
I had a chance to listen to Good Kid, Maad City this month along with Bloom and The Money Store. I enjoyed Good Kid, Maad City and it would make it in my #11 slot behind "Trouble" and ahead of "Heal" with "Backseat Freestyle", "Money Trees", "Swimming Pools (Drank) and "Bitch, Don't Kill My Vibe" being the standouts for me.
Bloom would make my #23 with "The Hours" and of course "Myth" being the highlight. The Money Store, I think it might click another time, although "Lost Boys", "Blackjack", "Hustle Bones" have been the highlight for me this month, I haven't manage to surpass it through my #32 slot.
Cicice
Let's Get It On

Post by Cicice »

prosecutorgodot wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 12:24 am

To be clear, I don't think anything else will win, but if we're playing fantasy football, Tyler the Creator would be cool, the NieR: Automata OST would be awesome. Out of my favorites, probably the Algiers album has the greatest chance of winning (which is to say zero).
There's been acclaimed film soundtrack but having a game soundtrack would be making it into the acclaimed list would be a memorable achievement. Since the full Nier: Automata soundtrack by Monaca was 3 and a half hour long I only managed to listen to the soundtrack once. "City Ruins / Rays Of Light", "Forest Kingdom", "Mourning", "Vague Hope - Spring Rain", "City Ruins - Shade", "Crumbling Lies - Front" were the highlights. Not quite keen on "Grandma - Destruction" just yet, but it would help if I was to play the game.
I'm digging what I'm hearing from that album "Async" by Ryuichi Sakamoto (R.I.P.) especially with "Disintegration".
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Cicice wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 12:08 am
prosecutorgodot wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 12:24 am

There's been acclaimed film soundtrack but having a game soundtrack would be making it into the acclaimed list would be a memorable achievement. Since the full Nier: Automata soundtrack by Monaca was 3 and a half hour long I only managed to listen to the soundtrack once. "City Ruins / Rays Of Light", "Forest Kingdom", "Mourning", "Vague Hope - Spring Rain", "City Ruins - Shade", "Crumbling Lies - Front" were the highlights. Not quite keen on "Grandma - Destruction" just yet, but it would help if I was to play the game.
I'm digging what I'm hearing from that album "Async" by Ryuichi Sakamoto (R.I.P.) especially with "Disintegration".
Cool you listened and enjoyed! I feel like the first disc is lacking a bit, but 2nd and 3rd discs are fire. I haven't even played the game, which speaks to how good the soundtrack is.

I checked out the Indiana tracks you mentioned, but they didn't especially do it for me. Not really hearing the Lorde comparison, especially vocally. And instrumentation sounds like a mishmash of different styles.
ManPerson
Let's Get It On

Post by ManPerson »

The only video game soundtrack I've heard is Minecraft: Volume Alpha so I'm probably not helping much with the cause, lol.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”